starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg length discrepancy

Default Leg length discrepancy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, I was looking for some insight as to the heel/foot lift or other treatments that I could do Here are my Tibia and Femur lengths...

Right femur 55.8 cm
    Right Tibia 42.4 cm

Left femur 56.4 cm
    Left Tibias 42.8 cm

6mm Femoral discrepancy
    4mm Tibial discrepancy

dc123

what problem are you trying to fix... back, hips, knee pain? how did they measure it so accuratly and do you also need to consider foot structure (arch) asymetry or hip rotation asymetry also?

im interested because i have a 10mm LLD that is either functional or structural or a little of both. i haven't gone down the path of getting it accuratetly measured as you did because I beleive it too small to correct. i did wear a heel lift once at the chiros advice but it didn't make me feel better or stronger in any way so ditched it. i generally dont have lower back pain except for occassional random flare ups that pass relatively quickly.

post back what you end up doing and whether it helped whatever problem your trying to fix

cheers

Markus1

Hey, I had the femurs and tibias measured by a full pelvis to foot X-ray.

I have this structural discrepancy but what exacerbated it was the fact that I’ve played Baseball my whole life (I was fortunate enough to play 7 years professionally as a catcher). The dynamic of swinging and throwing right handed has led me to have a functional discrepancy that has the same symptoms as having a short right leg. I’m
    Sure they effect each other.

The longer leg, because it is trying to find balance, ends up with a knee in a valgus position ( weak arch and ankle) and has a symptom of knee pain. This is also complicated by my Osgood-Schlatter in my left as well.

The short leg is very strong with great knee function and up to par ankle function

I am really trying to unglue my left hip flexors and illiacus, Vastus medialis. I will be working on my left ankle function and strength.

Moved this back from Rep. Inq. because of instruction potential. Anybody have any input on his last post?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Moved this back from Rep. Inq. because of instruction potential. Anybody have any input on his last post?
    Video?

If not, the OP seems to imply a desire to unilaterally strengthen the left leg, something that can only be done by deloading to a weight that he can do with perfect form and working up from there. Asymmetries can only be rectified bilaterally, not by doing split squats or lunges or one legged medicine ball romanian deadlifts, but by doing squats.

But overall, stop over-thinking the nothingburger problem and DTP.

The therapy babble is strong here. These are insignificant discrepancies, some PT or chiropractor has convinced him that he doesn't need to squat until his VMO, iliacus, and hip flexors are "unglued." When I kick a thread down to Rep. Inq. I intend for the kickee to read the boards about the topic. This has not occurred.

Moreover, there's an article that deals specifically with this problem of leg length discrepancies as well as at least a dozen articles all of which come to the same conclusion: don't worry about it and train regardless. You're essentially screaming the answers at him and people like him, yet they still insist you whisper it into their ears. Chalk it up to your sexual charisma, Rip. Evidently, it can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dc123 View Post
    This is also complicated by my Osgood-Schlatter in my left as well.
    Someone lied to you, a clinician is full of crap, or, someone believes you have not yet achieved skeletal maturity if the term Osgood-Schlatter is being used at all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dc123 View Post
    I am really trying to unglue my left hip flexors and illiacus, Vastus medialis. I will be working on my left ankle function and strength.
    Nothing unglues hip flexors (and naughty words) like getting under an empty bar and then adding plates every workout. Pretty soon you are grinning as you start counting the 45's stacking up. Then one day, after a particularly grueling (read satisfying) PR you realize, "What the hell was all that functional bullshit they were talking about anyway???" You should try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast