starting strength gym

Thread: Femoral length discrepancy

Default Femoral length discrepancy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone, I have read the article on LLD and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on FEMORAL LLD.

I have a right leg that is short by...
    4mm in the Tibia and
    6mm in the femur.

I am wearing a full 10mm lift in my right shoe

However, upon bending my knees, my right will now be 6 mm higher because of the 10mm lift. Also the size on the femurs will still have a difference of 6mm because the lift only effects the tibial length.

Now, all of this may have been exacerbated because a Lot of the symptoms that occur with a shot leg are also very congruent with swinging and throwing a ball right handed (multiple effects to hip Abduction and adduction.) I played baseball from ages 5-28 with the last 7 being professional.

So I’m looking at 2 possible causes to very similar symptoms with my sights set on being Pain free in my left knee, left hip, and back

I see no question in your post.

Leg Length Discrepancy | Mark Rippetoe

It has been my experience that most LLDs are tibial, with femoral length discrepancies being far less common and more complicated to manage. If we shim the short leg in the case of a short femur, the knee on the shimmed side will be even higher despite the fact that the pelvis is now level. This will mean that a level pelvis will come at the expense of uneven knees during the squat and deadlift.

A short femur with the pelvis restored to level by a shim under the foot will result in that knee being behind the other knee in the frontal plane, seen from the top. If the shin/ankle angles are to be the same on each side, the shimmed foot will need a staggered stance adjustment – the toe of the short side will be behind the other toe a distance that is the same as the femur discrepancy. This keeps the shim from screwing up the pelvic symmetry we are trying to restore.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry about not leaving a clear question . With all the info, my question is... would it be better to only correct the tibial discrepancy of 4mm and leave the 6mm femoral discrepancy alone to ensure alignment of the knees? Or should I use the full 10mm to ensure standing pelvic alignment and disregard the effect that the lift would have on my knee height equality?

What would be the best approach?

Thank you kindly

I obviously don't know.

When Rip saw my wife he suggested she shim. He said, "Try 1/4" then 1/2" and see what is does. Adjust as necessary."

We kept trying things until it felt right to her. This is probably the only time in the gym where feelz is what you are after. You are really the only one who can answer this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dc123 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Sorry about not leaving a clear question . With all the info, my question is... would it be better to only correct the tibial discrepancy of 4mm and leave the 6mm femoral discrepancy alone to ensure alignment of the knees? Or should I use the full 10mm to ensure standing pelvic alignment and disregard the effect that the lift would have on my knee height equality?

Thank you kindly
    I am more misaligned than this and squat, press, and deadlift just fine. What actual problems are you having?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dc123 View Post

Thank you kindly
    Probably 99.9% of us have some mild LLD within a few mm of each other. Pelvis being aligned is the most important thing here. Your knees will adjust slightly, and there will likely not even be a noticeable difference side to side when viewed.