starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip #60

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Have you watched any of Discovery or the Orville?
    No, but 2049 is scheduled for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How is your business coming along as a result?
    When I discovered Drucker in the late 80's, my "business" was physical and technical security as part a fairly complex organization in aerospace, the now vanished Hughes Aircraft. What Drucker set loose was how to think in a manner that was not hidebound by my own organization or the government entities who levied requirements and regulations on the enterprise I was a part of. As a result, I started learning to think about how to work with safe and lock manufacturers to overcome the conflicts between government security requirements, life safety requirements, and the IT requirements of the day. Those conflicts and attendant costs were legion. Over time, many of those conflicts got resolved by better products and methods and construction techniques. It was because I took the time and made the effort to engage with the government entities and the people who made things and find some middle ground that satisficed all parties. Most, if not all, of my counterparts elsewhere in the industry seemed content to grind along and cut corners or seek waivers.

Later, I was employed as a manager with Pinkerton Government Services. My superiors seemed content to go along to get along by providing security guards. I proposed to our several clients that we could provide other services like lock and key, administrative, as well as electronic security support. It incidentally provided PGS employees with additional career tracks with better pay and better skills development. And of course more revenue as a result of additional billed hours at a higher bill rate. This happened because I wasn't content to just provide guards. Rather a broader range of security services.

Drucker taught me how to think that way. He had a near impenetrable Austrian accent from a few views of him on TV, but I'd enjoy the time to talk some more with him and thank him for opening up my mind.

Now, I'm just an employee at the local park district a couple of nights a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I watched Mr. Spock on TV. Where did you watch Jesus?
    Do you mean the actor who played Spock you want to be at your dinner acting as Spock, because I don't see that that's any less imaginary that Jesus from the bible?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Do you mean the actor who played Spock you want to be at your dinner acting as Spock, because I don't see that that's any less imaginary that Jesus from the bible?
    Romulan spy confirmed.

Maybe Jesus was a Romulan spy.

I know you're fond of Occam's Razor, so I'll just reference that and say that the simplest explanation is probably right. Jesus was probably just some nice dude who went around talking about loving each other (except slaves) and being generally excellent to each other. He got caught up in some shit and got crucified (a generally common event).
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I would have dinner with Karl Marx, Che Guevara and Stalin.

Just kidding, I’d like to eat with Mark Rippetoe, A viking from 900AD, and a male hunter gatherer from 10,000 BC.

Great video, thanks for the upload! There is still a question however I have regarding hypertrophy.

I've learned that strength gains always correlate with muscle growth. But here is what I'm wondering:

Is the factor by which strength gains and muscle growth correlate always fixed? Or is it dependent on the program I'm doing?

In other words: Is it possible to create two different strength programs, where both have the same outcome in strength but different outcomes in muscle size? Obviously you will get bigger on both, but can the program have an influence on how much bigger? (again, assuming that strength gains are the same)

I think that would be important for weight classes. If there are two programs that make you equally strong but not equally heavy, then the one where you come out of lighter will be benefical for, say, powerlifting.

Does this question make sense? I never see this discussed when it comes to hypertrophy.

Since strength is dependent on cross-sectional area of the muscle, these two variables seem to be rather dependent on each other.

starting strength coach development program
    There are several early, non-Christian sources that attest to the existence of Jesus. Here are a couple of the best references:

1) Tacitus, a first-century Roman historian wrote: "Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures of a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their center and become popular."

2) Josephus, a first-century Jewish historian, in the early 90s A.D. wrote Antiquities, in which he states: "At this time there was a wise man named Jesus. His conduct was good and (he) was known to be virtuous. And many people from among the Jews and other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. But those who became his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion, and that he was alive."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast