starting strength gym
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Academic Preparation" Book Club

Default The "Academic Preparation" Book Club

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,
    In the spirit of all the value you provide to this community, I am hopeful that this post will make your life a little easier and add additional value to our board.

I was encouraged by your "Academic Preparation" article to prepare a self-study curriculum for this year, the aim of which is to a) develop my ability to think more scientifically for the purpose of b) becoming an effective coach & generally useful human being. I am planning to follow the outline you proposed in your article, and will be supplementing with additional books to address areas of personal ignorance/interest (e.g. evolutionary theory and astronomy).

While searching for additional reading material, I realized how often you receive requests for book recommendations. As such, I thought I would compile into one place all of the recommendations that I could find on the boards. I primarily limited the recommendations to ones directly given by you or an SSC, and have roughly organized them by topic. The book recommendations should not be construed as hard and fast recommendations for all time, but represent a starting place for those interested to expand their knowledge/worldview.

If you find this useful, I would be happy to monitor this thread for all additional suggestions and would add them into the original post. My hope is that this thread will represent a consolidated place for book suggestions, continued learning, discussion, etc. The Starting Strength organization has had a tremendous impact in my life over the last two years, and I'd like to do what I can to facilitate an ongoing spirit of scientific inquiry and rational discourse.

Thanks,
    Matt

------------------------------------------------------

Rip's Recommended List:
    Conceptual Physical Science, 4th Edition by Hewitt, Suchoki, and Hewitt
    Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine Marieb
    Exercise Physiology by Brooks and Fahey
    The Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter
    Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Edition by TMPHBITEU (aka Mark Rippetoe)
    Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd Edition by Rippetoe and Baker
    ***Note: The context of this list is the academic preparation necessary to become an effective coach, particularly a professional barbell strength coach. The original article can be found at Academic Preparation | Mark Rippetoe

In addition to the core reading, below are suggestions for further study in various fields (listed alphabetically):

Anatomy/Physiology
    Skeletal Muscle Structure, Function, and Plasticity by Richard Lieber
    The Anatomy Coloring Book by Kapit and Elson
    Orthopedic Physical Assessment by David Magee
    The Physiology of the Joints: The Trunk and the Vertebral Column by I. A. Kapandji

Astronomy
    Cosmos by Carl Sagan

Business
    The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber

Epidemiology
    Epidemiology: An Introduction by Kenneth Rothman
    Modern Epidemiology by Rothman, Greenland and Lash

Evolution
    Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne
    The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
    Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin

Nutrition
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain
    Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism by Gropper and Smith
    Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes

Physics
    Lectures on Physics by Richard Feynman

Training
    The Strongest Shall Survive by Bill Starr
    Defying Gravity by Bill Starr
    Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky and Kraemer
    Supertraining by Verkhoshanksky and Siff
    The Weightlifting Encyclopedia: A Guide to World Class Performance by Arthur Drechsler

Miscellaneous
    Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith
    Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
    The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallwey

Interesting. I'd disagree with a couple, Supertraining by Verkhoshanksky and Siff and The Weightlifting Encyclopedia: A Guide to World Class Performance by Arthur Drechsler being not particularly useful. But this is a nice start.

I would add
    Introduction to Material Science by Callister
    Mechanics of Materials,
    and Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics

An advanced understanding of solid mechanics isn't necessary per se, but it will certainly instill a method of learning that exercise physiology seems to lack. Also, when you understand solid mechanics and dynamics, it's like when Neo sees the Matrix code for the first time.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Mechanics of Materials,
    and Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics
    Authors?

I think you'd need to include The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas S. Kuhn. Since in my opinion it is directly applicable to what Starting Strength is doing.

I'll think of some others later.

I always advocate for reading the Western Canon. Turn the TV off forever and tackle the books that built the west. I'm trying to help folks do that with the service I built at Intellectual Linear Progression - Intellectual Linear Progression We go throught the western canon in order so we can see the great conversation that takes place between these authors. Each month we meet in an online Socratic Seminar and hash out these ideas with a trained interlocutor. Our Chief Interlocutor right now is Karl Schudt, SSC. He's too damn smart.

We start with Homer, then read Sophocles, Aeschylus, Aristophanes, Herodotus, then Plato. We just build from there.

I'm too old to go to Saint John's College, so I made my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Authors?
    Mechanics of Materials is by James M. Gere, after Stephen Timoshenko.

That being said, I would add Beer and Johnson's Statics and Dynamics.

Mechanics of Materials by Riley, Sturges, Morris

Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran and Shapiro
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hambrick View Post
    We start with Homer, then read Sophocles, Aeschylus, Aristophanes, Herodotus, then Plato. We just build from there.
    Where do you end and what's a general outline of time periods you see and discuss?

starting strength coach development program
    Because of the abundance of content online, the most important skill is to distinguish what works and what does not.
    AFAIK, the scientific method is by all means a central piece of that skill.
    This skill cannot be learned in most schools/college today.
    Like we begin lifting with the empty barbell, I think we should begin with the simplest cases first.
    So: let's stand on the shoulders of giants!
    Let's walk in the path of Newton and rediscover the law of gravity: what is it?
    How to come to the same conclusions as Newton's?
    This small trip, that one could try to solve like Sherlock Holmes is amazingly useful.
    On the way, we could:
    - Practice the scientific loop: experiment -> data -> model -> prediction
    - Discuss with Ronald Fisher and learn about The Design of Experiments
    - Understand that building a model is no more and no less than minimising over and under fitting predictions w.r.t. experimental data.
    - See that thinking (building models) is overrated: one data point can brake everything.
    - Models start to be good when one cannot use the Ockam Razor any more w/o hurting its usefulness.

Now that we have a model (how to discover the law of gravity) we can try the same methodology on Starting Strength: we can compare.
    Try it for yourself: the ability to compare is the single most important concept of any kind of thinking.

Once the mind is use to this thinking tool: "experiment -> data -> model -> prediction" then almost everything else become easier and ALL the books mentioned in the thread become accessible.

Caveat: this thinking tool breaks as soon as we cannot have shared data i.e. data that you obtained by the mean of a microscope for example and that you can show to someone else.
    I.e. It does not work for a huge amount of things that interest us: pain, joy, etc... all psychological phenomena.
    It just means that something else need to be discovered... but it is an entirely other discussion.
    For these, I would delegate to Seneca: Moral letters to Lucilius

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast