starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rip: The Two-Factor Model of Sports Performance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Training methods, or practice methods? Lots of sports face these types of problems. American football can't practice in pads all year, but they can practice on the field. Two different types of practice, both providing specific conditioning, neither are training. The weight room is available all year, even if the field is not.
    I agree with your example, and that venue alteration does not necessarily exclude classification as practice.

I was considering training methods; if for some reason it was necessary, it would be possible to train bioenergetic capacities via movements not executed in the sport. For example, if running were not possible due to some injury, the use of the bike. Perhaps not optimal, but pragmatic.

On reflection, very often was not the right quantifier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    So many citations in One Minute workout are related to studies of highly trained athletes as well as untrained shmoes. Generic HIIT protocols clearly not sport specific improved sport performance due to adaptations and increased capacity....compared to the control groups of athletes who only continues with their sport specific training. Of course this is generalized performance. they presumably did not score more goals or make more "clutch" plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Are you suggesting only participation is necessary for sporting performance improvement, once the sport requires increasing endurance?
    Practice develops skills and training develops physical attributes, but there is obviously going to be some carryover which varies from sport to sport.

You can certainly train endurance as a general adaptation off the "field" and in the sports that very much mimic the training like running, triathlons, ect. they obviously do specific protocols that are different from the event performances themselves (intervals, hill training, ect.) that improve their performance better than just mock racing, but I think, from a practical coaching perspective, if a lot of sports skill demands (running plays, mat drills, ect.) put so much demand on the energy systems and the recovery capacities of an athlete that more specific training of endurance simply isn't worth it.

Also there is the question of how long an endurance adaption sticks around and how easy it is to maintain. It may very well be worth a soccer, tennis, or hockey athlete to do some intervals in their off season when maybe they do a bit less skill and team practice, but that practice may very well be enough to maintain any conditioning they gained beforehand whereas we know they will get weaker by the end of their season if they do not lift during it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Also there is the question of how long an endurance adaption sticks around and how easy it is to maintain. It may very well be worth a soccer, tennis, or hockey athlete to do some intervals in their off season when maybe they do a bit less skill and team practice, but that practice may very well be enough to maintain any conditioning they gained beforehand whereas we know they will get weaker by the end of their season if they do not lift during it.
    Endurance fitness as an adaptation is transient, i.e. it comes on fast and goes away fast. This is why two-a-days work in August for football season. You get "in shape" quickly, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for anybody to train that aspect of performance all year, unless the sport lies at the far end of the spectrum, like 26.2. We tell military people this all the time: run about 4 times before the test, and then get back to strength training, which is a long-term process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Endurance fitness as an adaptation is transient, i.e. it comes on fast and goes away fast. This is why two-a-days work in August for football season. You get "in shape" quickly, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for anybody to train that aspect of performance all year, unless the sport lies at the far end of the spectrum, like 26.2. We tell military people this all the time: run about 4 times before the test, and then get back to strength training, which is a long-term process.
    Agreed, but maybe more importantly, sports like soccer, rugby, ect likely have more than enough endurance work in their skills practicing to maintain any amount of training that one might develop pre preseason. Strength will drop some over the season though without at least some dedicated training because the efforts in practice and competition are so submaximal.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    So many citations in One Minute workout are related to studies of highly trained athletes as well as untrained shmoes. Generic HIIT protocols clearly not sport specific improved sport performance due to adaptations and increased capacity....compared to the control groups of athletes who only continues with their sport specific training. Of course this is generalized performance. they presumably did not score more goals or make more "clutch" plays.
    With HIIT this might very well be true. In my mind I was prematurely refering to LISS as this is what is usually prescribed by many coaches. And from my experience, people who put in the extra effort to go for an additional 5 or 10 km run once or twice a week, additionally to their field practice, do not usually show a advantage during the match in terms of endurance. With HIIT this may very well be different.

I think there is a few cases where sports maybe should cause some modifications in the strength training. I don't mean the training should look like the sport, but there are differences in adaptions wanted. Anything with weight classes you're going to have to focus on putting on muscle where it is going to get you the most benefit, and that could kind of go for sports where weight has downsides in and of itself. Neck strength training can reduce the risk of concussions so add that in for a lot of contact sports. The other thing is joint angle specificity, hyperextention of the hips is required if you're sprinting/running (including a lot of field sports). Maybe some extra forearm training, though honestly the only sports I can think of is arm wrestling, strongman or a bareknuckle combat sport.

starting strength coach development program
    You've somehow missed the whole point. Joint angle specificity???? Just let go of that stupid shit, okay?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12