starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scotch recommendation in the 100-150 dollar range?

Default scotch recommendation in the 100-150 dollar range?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip, I'm looking to invest in my first higher end single malt scotch in the 100-150 dollar range. I live in Kentucky (I know, somehow not so much a bourbon guy) and was wondering if you (or Matt Reynolds too if he happens to see this) could give me a recommendation. I tend to like the peat. Laphroaig is wonderful but the lighter stuff like Macallan is good too.

Get a bottle of Lagavulin in that range. You'll have to look at one of the bigger stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Get a bottle of Lagavulin in that range. You'll have to look at one of the bigger stores.
    IMHO, one of the best peaty malts! Just an aside, I find the distiller's edition to be hit or miss...depending on the year, while the 16yr Lagavulin remains consistently delicious.

Awesome, thanks guys. I've heard of that one. Will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys. I've heard of that one. Will give it a try.
    Full disclosure: in our house, we heard of Lagavulin via Ron Swanson, the character played by Nick Offerman on "Parks and Recreation", whose friend on the show, Leslie Knopes, bought him a trip to Islay to visit his favorite distillery. 60 Minutes recently did a segment featuring a visit to Islay and its single malt distilleries, the most tolerable segment I've watched on that show, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Full disclosure: in our house, we heard of Lagavulin via Ron Swanson, the character played by Nick Offerman on "Parks and Recreation", whose friend on the show, Leslie Knopes, bought him a trip to Islay to visit his favorite distillery. 60 Minutes recently did a segment featuring a visit to Islay and its single malt distilleries, the most tolerable segment I've watched on that show, by far.
    When Rip recommended Lagavulin, I thought of exactly this scene.

You guys watch a lot of TV?

Laphroaig and Lagavulin are great. I've been a fan of Laphroaig for decades. I'd also recommend trying out Ardbeg and Coal Ila. I've never tried Compass Box's "Peat Monster" blend, but a good friend of mine who is a scotch fiend says it's pretty good. Away from the peat end of things, I've found Aberfeldy to be very approachable and there's always the older Springbanks.

Agreed. I bought the Lagavulin 16 at Costco in Maui for only $50. Insane price.

The Laphroiag Cairdeas is an excellent yearly expression that runs about $75.

$100-150 is actually a strange place for Scotch - you can get 18 year scotch in this wheelhouse, though. 25 year gets exponentially most expensive.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree whole heartedly. Best scotch I’ve ever tasted. Rare treat though, expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast