starting strength gym

Thread: Strength and Power

Default Strength and Power

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    No question just an analogy if you will, not that you'll really even get it down there in Texas anyway...

STRENGTH = how much snow you can push with the shovel

POWER = how far you can throw it into the yard (or the street if your that kind of person)

There are yards in Wyoming?

The lot space adjacent to the house and driveway, whether it is filled with sand, sagebrush, gravel, vehicles or in some instances actual turf grass (or any combination thereof) is indeed considered "the yard".

or the street if your that kind of person
    should be "you're"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hey Rip I got a little question .In the video “How to pick stuff up” you mentioned that when moving a load, the rotation must take place at the feet and not the back. When shovelling snow or dirt, because the load that the snow or dirt places on the shovel is submaximal I’m guessing its no issue to rotate a little in order to not need to curl the shovel and dump it elsewhere since it’s a waste of time to move your feet to the point your going to dump it every time. I don’t know what others experience is with this, but my back gets quite sore from this but I also think that’s just because the upper back is in flexion for a long time.

If you plan on shoveling all day, you'd better rotate at the ground and keep your low back in extension. Unless you're 17.

Don’t laugh but since I live in New England I find shoveling out of these storms as one of the best expressions of strength. Let my neighbors use their snow blowers. No thanks, not while I can do it myself thank you Starting Strength.
    The sick part is that while I shovel I think about the moment diagram of proper shoveling mechanics. I wish I was kidding about that.

starting strength coach development program
    Wiigelec, I concur with your observation.

Anybody like the bent-handle snow shovels? We find them far superior. Switched years ago, and never looked back.

SS + bent-handle shovel = driveway cleared in time for hot cocoa, and I can still deadlift that day.