starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicholas Racculia SSC: The Expanded Use of Tactile Cues for Special Populations

Default Nicholas Racculia SSC: The Expanded Use of Tactile Cues for Special Populations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I've had this question for a really long time, but I never wanted to start a thread about it. How would strength training be different for a visually impaired individual? Would it still be possible for blind people to get from no plates to four plates? And have you had any experience training blind people? I've come to some of my own conclusions, but I haven't had nearly the experience you've had, especially true if it turns out you have trained the visually impaired in the past.

I've never trained a totally blind person.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Would it still be possible for blind people to get from no plates to four plates?
    I have no experience with it either, but I know there are definitely some strong blind powerlifters. Stephen Jesso's a relatively well-known example.

I would like to applaud Coach Racculia and his staff for the truly wonderful work they are doing here. Really, who else is doing this?

Who else is doing what? Helping people?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who else is doing what? Helping people?
    Such a group of people in such a manner.

Yes, not a lot of people are actually helping other people. Most just bitch and moan on the internet.

Lots of us have been involved with Special Olympics over the years. Lots of us donate time and work to other people of all levels of ability without any expectation of being paid. Nick is in an excellent position to dedicate time and space at his university to this particular group of people, something that those of us working entirely in the private sector cannot do with space and appointment time since we have to get the bills paid. But in general, our SSCs are a much better than average group of people who are happy to help anybody that needs help whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I have no experience with it either, but I know there are definitely some strong blind powerlifters. Stephen Jesso's a relatively well-known example.

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing, Coach.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    My aunt, who died just last year at 56, was autistic and severely mentally disabled, but also one of the most genuinely good and loving people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. I still have a picture she colored me out of a coloring book on my office wall, right across from my Starting Strength Coach certificate. This article especially touched me...thanks very much for it, Drac!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast