starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio: Why You Should Not Be Running

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "Denser" I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read that . . must be some new bro science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    From the FB comments:

Somehow, this individual has learned how to type.
    You don't know that. Insufficient data.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    What people don't understand is that it's not an unmitigated good to lose weight. You hear people talk about losing weight all the time as though they have done something really good for themselves. But nobody ever talks about body composition. What happens to a middle aged person who loses weight in the absence of strength training? It's worth thinking about. It's good to not be obese, that much is clear. But you really want to avoid losing muscle at all costs. If you are just dieting -- or worse, dieting and running or some equivalent -- then you are probably not doing anything that could be called "good for you." Instead, you are merely inching yourself closer to frailty. And an older person who "loses weight" is likely only accomplishing putting themselves closer to that frailty threshold. As a middle aged person, do you really want to make your body one accident or prolonged illness away from assisted living? It's a terrible idea. As bad as obesity is, frailty is as bad or worse. Don't do it.
    Learned that lesson the hard way. It puts in doubt the entire slimming industry and Government advice about eating less and 'doing more aerobics'. I found I was getting weaker and weaker and fat was clearly being reduced at the cost of muscle mass. Muscle mass is far more difficult to replace than fat is to lose. Obesity clearly isn't good, but muscle loss is worse. I can't believe how much better I look and feel after 4 months of lifting and wish I had never ever attempted weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by FB comment View Post
    I have found long easy runs are best to build up strength then you can smash the shorter distances at speed without any problem.
    This is a statement that can only be conceived by a person who has never run fast and never done training that would support running fast. He is indicating to us that he has been afflicted by the most poisonous mindset common to adult endurance athletes who come to sport later in life having skipped competing in team sports as a youth. The finisher mindset tells these people that the goal of a race is to finish. His version or "smashing the shorter distances" has no component of running shorter distances well. He is only concerned with running the shorter distances without quitting, not a very impressive goal. Once you've finished your 5k you then finish a 10k, half marathon, and then marathon, then Iron Man. Finishing is the goal and once you've finished one distance up you have the authority to look down on people participating in anything shorter than your preferred distance. Never mind that you are talking to someone who has run a 5k in sub 5 minute miles, a pace you've never even sniffed. The "finisher" can confidently tell a faster runner that they don't do 5ks because they wouldn't even be warmed up at the end, or that they are surprised that the faster runner doesn't do marathons because "I thought you were a serious runner?" For those of you who haven't spent time around adult recreational runners, you will have to trust me. This twisted mindset is common and unshakeable. They missed their opportunity to understand effort, hardship, and a desire to improve when they skipped out on participating as a competitor earlier in life. The damage is permanent and they cannot be reasoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    This is a statement that can only be conceived by a person who has never run fast and never done training that would support running fast. He is indicating to us that he has been afflicted by the most poisonous mindset common to adult endurance athletes who come to sport later in life having skipped competing in team sports as a youth. The finisher mindset tells these people that the goal of a race is to finish. His version or "smashing the shorter distances" has no component of running shorter distances well. He is only concerned with running the shorter distances without quitting, not a very impressive goal. Once you've finished your 5k you then finish a 10k, half marathon, and then marathon, then Iron Man. Finishing is the goal and once you've finished one distance up you have the authority to look down on people participating in anything shorter than your preferred distance. Never mind that you are talking to someone who has run a 5k in sub 5 minute miles, a pace you've never even sniffed. The "finisher" can confidently tell a faster runner that they don't do 5ks because they wouldn't even be warmed up at the end, or that they are surprised that the faster runner doesn't do marathons because "I thought you were a serious runner?" For those of you who haven't spent time around adult recreational runners, you will have to trust me. This twisted mindset is common and unshakeable. They missed their opportunity to understand effort, hardship, and a desire to improve when they skipped out on participating as a competitor earlier in life. The damage is permanent and they cannot be reasoned with.
    Not really, the really fast guys all do crazy mileages, mostly pretty easy. Someone's mileage actually often matches up more with how fast they are than how far they run, e.g. a top 10k runner does way more than someone who just wants to finish a marathon. So in terms of running, he's mostly right. While some faster stuff is needed, it's not a very big part of training.

Quote Originally Posted by BitPlayer View Post
    Not really, the really fast guys all do crazy mileages, mostly pretty easy. Someone's mileage actually often matches up more with how fast they are than how far they run, e.g. a top 10k runner does way more than someone who just wants to finish a marathon.
    My only quibble with your statement is the phrase "pretty easily". A top 10k competitor is going to put in high mileage. A lot of those miles will be "easy" or "junk" miles. But easy and junk are relative terms to that person's ability. I've spent enough time around recreational runners to encounter plenty of people who don't know how to run hard or fast and use their long runs as badges of honor even though they run 18 miles at damn near the same pace they run 6 miles. I wasn't trying to argue the validity of programming methods for competitive runners. I was identifying a finisher based mindset that is highly prevalent in the recreational ranks.

I imagine that the feedback loop that creates these logic defying claims about how great running is really stem from never doing anything truly difficult, but instead confusing doing a lot of easy things without getting winded with being able to do the hard things that they never actually try.

I may have told this story on the boards before, but I had a friend who was going to work in Boston on the day of the marathon, somehow came across another mutual friend who was running it, and then decided on a whim to run it with him. They both finished.

He wasn't a runner. He lifted and did some hiking or skiing maybe every other weekend or so. He was also in his 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    I was identifying a finisher based mindset that is highly prevalent in the recreational ranks.

This was interesting.

I was thinking about all the cars around town with the 26.2 stickers. These, of course mean absolutely nothing other than the implied “I finished”, which in turn, means next to nothing without the time to complete.

By comparison a 200lb press, and its silly sticker, means precisely that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    This was interesting.

I was thinking about all the cars around town with the 26.2 stickers. These, of course mean absolutely nothing other than the implied “I finished”, which in turn, means next to nothing without the time to complete.

Well, what if it takes you 8 hours to lock out your 200 lbs press?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    This was interesting.

There are allot of runners (joggers, walkers) that finish well after 5 plus hours. Most of it walking. Heck for my very first marathon, my friend at work coached me quite a bit and told me just to hang on to my pace for the race. He then said its not really a race at least not for me. Just finish and enjoy. (confusing I know)

I finished well at 4:24 (basically kept 10 minute miles for all 26 miles) but being my first marathon I was happy just finishing it. Matter of fact every race after that I would always try to get faster but really in the end I just wanted to finish without death or injury.

That said, my first ever 405 squat was a 405 squat. As Henry Rollins said:"Friends come and go but 200 lb is always 200 lbs" Interestingly this is something I never thought about until your post Barry.

Awesome point of fact by the way: I had a colonoscopy today and my nurse asked me if I was a corrections officer, cop or a firefighter? I asked why do you ask that? She said its because I look pretty big and strong . . . . .I kid you not!!!
    I said nope I am just a middle age guy that tries to do strength training and some climbing. That's something she would not have asked me years ago as a skinny fat runner. I don't need a sticker for running or lifting. My body is my sticker now. F n A!!!!
    Sparky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast