starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Industry Certifications Video

Default Fitness Industry Certifications Video

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Made a little video about this topic, stemming from a discussion in the Staff Coaches Q&A:

Certifications - YouTube

There are some very important observations in this video. His last point is quite important if you are in this business.

I have to get the NASM cert to work as a trainer at my college gym. Safe to say I feel like I've wasted $700. The SSC cert will always be the goal.

Outstanding, and completely True. All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I have to get the NASM cert to work as a trainer at my college gym. Safe to say I feel like I've wasted $700. The SSC cert will always be the goal.
    Think of it as an analysis of the competition. Companies do this all the time. Not entirely unhelpful to know what "the other side" is doing and what they believe. It will help you make your case for your methods even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Think of it as an analysis of the competition. Companies do this all the time. Not entirely unhelpful to know what "the other side" is doing and what they believe. It will help you make your case for your methods even stronger.
    It's really frightening that this certification is what qualifies you train people. I've learned more valuable information from YouTube. It doesn't even seem like it would make me any money. Not only do the methods not work, but they don't even sound enjoyable for the client. Your advice on bringing the methods/product and subsequently the results directly to the consumer is exactly what I needed to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    It's really frightening that this certification is what qualifies you train people. I've learned more valuable information from YouTube. It doesn't even seem like it would make me any money. Not only do the methods not work, but they don't even sound enjoyable for the client. Your advice on bringing the methods/product and subsequently the results directly to the consumer is exactly what I needed to hear.
    It doesn't work and it doesn't square with what the client wants. Your standard training client comes in and wants to "lose some fat, build some muscle, get stronger, and increase their energy, and overall get healthier."

The next thing they know the NASM trainer is having them do 60 minutes of stretching, foam rolling, "activation" techniques, and "corrective" exercise.

They don't see anyone else in the gym doing this. And it seems like all the really fit people are either lifting weights and/or doing hard cardio. And they aren't. They have a voice inside their head saying that this is a waste of time, but they defer to the professional for at least a few weeks. Then they realize they are a few hundred/thousand poorer and no more fit and they quit. And they ain't coming back.

Andy looked right through me and created this video that addresses what I really wanted to know. The end of the video starting from 18:17 is just pure gold.

Here's a question. Couldn't you go for the crap NASM, etc certs the commercial gyms et al are looking for to get your foot in the door of this profession, and then use that to slowly plant your seeds of barbell training there? Who is going to notice if you sneak some SS type barbell work in here and there to some training? Meanwhile your clients are getting better results and are more satisfied with you than the other PTs at the gym. All this until you can get your own thing going and maybe even someday get to be that SSC.

starting strength coach development program
    It's being done right now, all over the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast