starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The military and strength

Default The military and strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought I'd drop a little red meat here:

Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement

I think my son will do grenade throws. I'm assuming 3 sets of 5 will be the recommendation?

Finally. Grenades don't work anyway.

Sad.

. . . trainees just aren’t strong enough to throw the grenade far enough away – and simply can’t be taught to properly throw a grenade “if they haven’t thrown growing up” – Maj. Gen. Frost explained

Not Just Strong. Army Strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    I thought I'd drop a little red meat here:

Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement

I think my son will do grenade throws. I'm assuming 3 sets of 5 will be the recommendation?
    The removal of land navigation qualification worries me more.

They did that because it's not fair. Girls aren't good with maps and compassy-things.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Its not just throwing that they didn't grow up with. If you have a hard time with a measuring tape you're going to get really confused by things like maps.

Millennials need instructional video for operating a tape measure

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Eh, yes and no. Should you know how to read a map in case you need it? Yeah. But how likely are you ever to actually need it? Not very. And of those very few times, how often will you not have a GPS of some sort? Not very. I don't think it should be taken out (and the training isn't, just the graduation requirement), but I don't think it's that critical for the average soldier. If you have an MOS that requires that type of work, you're going to get additional training anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They did that because it's not fair. Girls aren't good with maps and compassy-things.
    Eh, none of the women in my group had trouble with the map during Combat Survival Training (basically: Go Starve in the Woods for 8 Days with a Map) or any of the other Land Nav training we did. I doubt I just got an excellent group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    Its not just throwing that they didn't grow up with. If you have a hard time with a measuring tape you're going to get really confused by things like maps.

Millennials need instructional video for operating a tape measure
    I liked this line:
    But before you storm away from your computer to complain how “millennials are the worst,” consider this: It was the job of their parents to teach them these basic skills.

My favorite part of the article was this gem:

"Just because we took it off as a graduation requirement does not mean they won’t be conducting hand grenade or land navigation training," Frost said. “They are going to learn all the technical aspects of the hand grenade, and they are going to learn tactical employment and they will throw a live hand grenade."

It's reassuring to know that although the modern army recruit can't throw the 14 oz M67 the "20 to 25 to 30 meters" normally required, that's not going to stop him or her from learning the process.

Lord knows that in actual combat, it doesn't really matter how far the thing goes as long as everyone gets to try.

starting strength coach development program
    It's not that hard to throw a grenade. But, It's really really really REALLYYYYYYYYYYY dangerous.

I threw it once while in the army. It takes a lot of practice to throw really well.

If fail, could die........

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast