starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip et al: Intermediate and Advanced Training: A Few Ideas

Default Rip et al: Intermediate and Advanced Training: A Few Ideas

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Thank you Rip! I have been obsessing about this very thing recently. somehow I always seem to get the answers I'm looking for from SS. The logical part of my brain already knows this, but somehow there is another part saying "it can't be that simple!"
    For some reason having you write it down helps. Probably because the articles are so well written.
    I try to remind myself it isn't a certain amount of weight or stage of advancement which makes us exceptional. It is the fact we are spending the mental and physical effort to actually train.

Well done.

Thank you all for the time and effort you invested in that lesson.

While I'm happy to apply your principles today as a retired LEO in his mid-sixties, I only wish I could've had access to the Starting Strength methodology when I first began "working out" with weights during my college years in the early 70's, and the decades since. A lot of time running in place could have been avoided and one wonders where the level of progress would be today.

Still, progress continues to be made today...and that is most definitely a thing (as folks seem to enjoy saying these days)...and for that I offer my gratitude.

"Complexity is seductive. There is something about it that the human mind finds attractive, as though harder to understand/more moving parts/some assembly required equals Better."

and

"This is an example of selecting a program to emulate your Heroes"

These two statements encapsulate so very much of why we are not as successful as we should be when it comes to training. I am not Dan Green, nor will I ever be and, ironically, he himself champions simplicity as much as possible.

But I get it, one sees enough of: bands, chains, paused squats, beltless squats, sumo pulls and other various things that may or may not have there place; on their Instagram feed and one becomes convinced that if they just did this or that, they would be stronger or, at least, cooler than they are now.

The 4-Day Split represents a change in training schedule from the 3-day Novice progression, while retaining the simple logic of regular progression. The lifts are trained only twice a week, the workouts are shorter, and recovery is easier, very important since recovery limitations were why the change was necessary. But intensity is preserved, progression moves from 48 hours to weekly, and PRs are only a few workouts away.
    I gather from this excerpt from the article that the standard 3x5 LP stops working because of recovery limitations.
    This is in contrast with what I have been hearing lately from other SSCs, particularly that it's not a lack of recovery, but rather volume, that brings an end to the NLP.
    So, which of the two is the culprit? Is it a mix of both?

Is this really what you have to ask after reading this piece? Seriously? Read it again, slower this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    I gather from this excerpt from the article that the standard 3x5 LP stops working because of recovery limitations.
    This is in contrast with what I have been hearing lately from other SSCs, particularly that it's not a lack of recovery, but rather volume, that brings an end to the NLP.
    So, which of the two is the culprit? Is it a mix of both?
    Lol. It's because the stress being applied by the NLP no longer produces the desired training effect. You need more stress to induce an adaptation.

If volume is primary driver of hypertrophy and hypertrophy is primary driver of strength progress post novice, why focus on something else?

Sure, you will have to back off from bunch of heavy sets to tolerate the volume but you will get more practice for the lift. Sure, you will not be mentally prepared for heavy training at the time but you can start training heavy any time you want with volume reduction.

I'm sure this simple approach works but the question is what works better.

overload event.jpg

How do we know the overload event in this example is the week and not the first session?

starting strength coach development program
    As far as I understand, and someone smarter than me please correct me if I'm wrong, it's a bit of both. You've now gotten strong enough to apply more stress than your body can recover from in 48 hours so you need to increase the duration of the overload event from 1 workout to multiple workouts and, now that the programming gives you adequate time to recover before increasing the weight on the bar, you can also use multiple workouts to accumulate more stress in this longer overload event.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast