starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio: Why You Should Not Be Running

Default Audio: Why You Should Not Be Running

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

From the FB comments:

Brian Smith If you lift light weights to the point of muscle exhaustion you get the same muscle build as lifting heavy weight till muscle exhaustion, and would agree if you do not train and build up to distance running you will get the problems they describe. I have found long easy runs are best to build up strength then you can smash the shorter distances at speed without any problem.
    Somehow, this individual has learned how to type.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    From the FB comments:

Not only is his analysis of strength training wrong, but apparently he doesn't know much about running either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    From the FB comments:

Brian Smith If you lift light weights to the point of muscle exhaustion you get the same muscle build as lifting heavy weight till muscle exhaustion, and would agree if you do not train and build up to distance running you will get the problems they describe. I have found long easy runs are best to build up strength then you can smash the shorter distances at speed without any problem.
    I have found that by drinking beer in tall boy cans slowly, I am able to lift a full keg overhead (with each hand) at speed without any problem.

/sarcasm

I have to say I find it hard to disagree with the notion that excessive aerobic activity is catabolic. I'm a keen cyclist, and in 2012 and 2014 entered the Etape du Tour, which is an event that allows amateurs to ride a stage of the Tour de France.

I tried to train well in advance both years, but repeatedly broke down with chronic chest infections, and general exhaustion. In 2013 and 2015, I didn't take part due to the birth of my two kids - in those years, I was essentially sedentary. I wasn't ill at all.

I will still continue to cycle, as I enjoy it, but I can't see me ever 'training' to be a cyclist again. Having said that, at over 100kg, I should have realised that cycling in the mountains was unlikely to be productive for me.......

Well, I mean, everybody knows doing 3 sets of 5 squats at 315 produces the exact same results as squatting the 45 lbs bar for 3 sets of 100. Don't you guys even math?

The problem with connecting with people over social media is that you connect with people over social media.

I enjoyed listening to this, recently a co-worker and I talked about running vs. lifting. She has "bad knees", I believe has a spinal fusion somewhere and believes that running is what she needs to do, and maybe lift a little. Some people just don't/won't open their minds and consider common sense.

All I did was endurance training a few years ago and all I got was weaker. It's a shame but unfortunately I think many people, i.e. runners as I once was are going to have to learn the hard way. It is such a heavy addiction and mindset. All I thought about was running, running longer and running faster and the next race and the next race after that. I have no regrets as life is too short and I enjoyed the time I was into it but boy am I paying for it. As hard as it was having knee surgery I think that was the best thing that ever happened to me.

It's interesting as a marathoner I followed many of the elites at that time. Many of them after winning an Ultra race or two all of a sudden would fall off the radar. So many of them would blog about their overtraining symptoms, always being tired, never having any energy and how their body was changing and almost every time for the worse. I look at someone like Dean Karnazes who used to look pretty good about a decade ago and now he looks like he has been living in a concentration camp. That's just not healthy to me. At least not anymore.
    I think I am living testament that even with some weight training incorporated with my endurance training I only got weaker as LSD and lots of endurance training only sucked the life out of me, literally.
    Sparky

This was a conversation I had with a runner friend of mine:
    Me, "Running does not and cannot make your legs stronger, which is why elite distance runners have legs like toothpicks."
    Friend, "Yeah, but I bet those legs are denser."
    Me, Gave up and changed the conversation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    All I did was endurance training a few years ago and all I got was weaker. It's a shame but unfortunately I think many people, i.e. runners as I once was are going to have to learn the hard way. It is such a heavy addiction and mindset. All I thought about was running, running longer and running faster and the next race and the next race after that. I have no regrets as life is too short and I enjoyed the time I was into it but boy am I paying for it. As hard as it was having knee surgery I think that was the best thing that ever happened to me.

It's interesting as a marathoner I followed many of the elites at that time. Many of them after winning an Ultra race or two all of a sudden would fall off the radar. So many of them would blog about their overtraining symptoms, always being tired, never having any energy and how their body was changing and almost every time for the worse. I look at someone like Dean Karnazes who used to look pretty good about a decade ago and now he looks like he has been living in a concentration camp. That's just not healthy to me. At least not anymore.
    I think I am living testament that even with some weight training incorporated with my endurance training I only got weaker as LSD and lots of endurance training only sucked the life out of me, literally.
    Sparky
    What people don't understand is that it's not an unmitigated good to lose weight. You hear people talk about losing weight all the time as though they have done something really good for themselves. But nobody ever talks about body composition. What happens to a middle aged person who loses weight in the absence of strength training? It's worth thinking about. It's good to not be obese, that much is clear. But you really want to avoid losing muscle at all costs. If you are just dieting -- or worse, dieting and running or some equivalent -- then you are probably not doing anything that could be called "good for you." Instead, you are merely inching yourself closer to frailty. And an older person who "loses weight" is likely only accomplishing putting themselves closer to that frailty threshold. As a middle aged person, do you really want to make your body one accident or prolonged illness away from assisted living? It's a terrible idea. As bad as obesity is, frailty is as bad or worse. Don't do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast