starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Archive Article: The Olympics: Time To Stop

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mdillon View Post
    This gave me a good laugh. Great article. It's nice to know that other people see through the propaganda. I also think it's funny how big of a deal is made over winners of events like snowboarding. I'm sure it is a difficult thing to do but I wonder if those people realize what would happen to them if theirs sport was monetized like the NBA or the NFL.
    Snowboarding is pretty well monetized though.

Quote Originally Posted by JimtheConquerer View Post
    Interestingly, Muay Thai has received provisional status. Maybe there will be a move back to a legit martial sport. Perhaps they will screw it up though.
    Have you seen their version of Tae Kwon Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Holy shit. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE.
    Same thing that is going on everywhere else. This is currently the standard approach to Strength and Conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Qabalah View Post
    The Norwegian gold medalist in downhill skiing has this video of a typical session of strength-training, and... yeah... I'm a Norwegian and it's frankly embarrasing. I should not be on a "roll off the couch and get to the gym twice a week, if I feel like it"-program based on the Starting Strength lifts with mediocre genes and be pretty much at the same level in strength as the olympic gold medalist here. That gold should supposedly symbolize the peak of what humanity has to offer in athletic ability. Why am I almost as strong with 10-15 hours of training a month? Why?

YouTube
    Wow, that's a whole lot of "warm up" to squat a Euro 315. That part where he was stepping from ball to ball looks like it'd be great practice for crossing a stream without getting your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Qabalah View Post
    The Norwegian gold medalist in downhill skiing has this video of a typical session of strength-training, and... yeah... I'm a Norwegian and it's frankly embarrasing. I should not be on a "roll off the couch and get to the gym twice a week, if I feel like it"-program based on the Starting Strength lifts with mediocre genes and be pretty much at the same level in strength as the olympic gold medalist here. That gold should supposedly symbolize the peak of what humanity has to offer in athletic ability. Why am I almost as strong with 10-15 hours of training a month? Why?

YouTube
    Unless you can compete with this guy in whatever downhill discipline he races in, I don’t see any rational comparison of your strength to his. I can bench press more than Tom Brady, but that apparently doesn’t make him any less of a QB.

Sure, the warmup stuff was gimmicky and I’m convinced that a GHD machine could replace his coach, but he does recognize the importance of squatting and squats a decent amount for someone who spends as much time on skis as he presumably has to in order to be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    Unless you can compete with this guy in whatever downhill discipline he races in, I don’t see any rational comparison of your strength to his. I can bench press more than Tom Brady, but that apparently doesn’t make him any less of a QB.
    You know, I'd never thought of that. If the greatest QB in the NFL isn't very strong, why should anybody worry about it? It's not like he'd be any better if he were stronger, after all. He's already the best he can be, because he's the best in the NFL. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You know, I'd never thought of that. If the greatest QB in the NFL isn't very strong, why should anybody worry about it? It's not like he'd be any better if he were stronger, after all. He's already the best he can be, because he's the best in the NFL. Duh.
    The suggestion of the initial comment was, “Hey, how can this person possibly be a celebrated athlete because I am just as a strong as (or stronger than) that person.”

That is an absurd suggestion anyway you look at it: it suggests that there is no valid athletic skill, there is strength and only strength and that strength is only measurable by the standards of a individual who only strength trains.

Quote Originally Posted by TastyBeans View Post
    Snowboarding is pretty well monetized though.
    Maybe so, compared to curling. A quick Google search showed the 2017 total salary cap for the NFL alone being $1.2 billion. It also showed that Shaun White earned $9 million during one of the prior olympic years and that practically everyone else simply earned free gear. If Shaun White had to compete against dudes with NFL/NBA genetics I would guess that he might struggle. That said, I still appreciate the discipline and practice that I assume Shaun White puts in to get there.

The suggestion of the initial comment was, “Hey, how can this person possibly be a celebrated athlete because I am just as a strong as (or stronger than) that person.”

That is an absurd suggestion anyway you look at it: it suggests that there is no valid athletic skill, there is strength and only strength and that strength is only measurable by the standards of a individual who only strength trains.
    That was not the suggestion. The suggestion was that the man was not operating at his potential due to a lack of attention paid to his strength training, not because he isn't as strong as you, me, or the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    I haven't watched a single second of the Olympics this year. In fact, I didn't know they had started. In addition to everything you've stated in your article, I despise the invention of "events" to cater to people that are unable to complete.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I still believe anything involving the X-games in some fashion is not - and cannot - be a sport. It is not a coincidence that the US "athletes" win the most medals in these X-game type events, as the US always has and will get crushed in the traditional events akin to thousands of years ago.

There will always be a winner and a loser in any true competition. And that is okay...in fact, I always learned much more from losing in a sporting event than I ever did winning. The same rings true in life, IMHO.
    I'm of the same opinion of the "X games" events that are judged. I don't mind the ones where they line up 4 people and say fastest to the line wins. It's not as clear as a running race, but on snow, it's not too bad. At least it's simply do this and you really can't muck with the result behind the scenes. But the skateboard park crap on snow that is judged, no. This from a Canadian whose country has seen a large number of medals from these "events" as well.

starting strength coach development program

What Rip said.

I am ridiculously bad at skis for being a Norwegian, and once I got out of school and could avoid the ski-trips I had with class I eliminated the activity from my life entirely. The only award I ever got from my skiing in school was the price for "best fall".

If I had been into skiing though, especially downhill which is the fastest of the olympic events I'd have reached the same conclusion: that you need a lot of leg strength. The stronger your legs are, the more velocity you can handle allowing you to make turns with higher speed. That's not just what I say, but also his own analysis in the video, and it's right!

His heavy squat-workout: 308lbs (140kgs) for sets of 10... For an athlete that weighs 220lbs and emphasize squats as priority #1 and squat 3 times a week - this isn't heavy. This is laughable. My post was simply pointing to the baffling fact that my lazy ass with mediocre genetics who never excelled in any sport can juggle in a couple of trainings a week here and there over the last few years and be right up there in leg-strength with the best in the world in a sport where leg-strength is absolutely essential, and it's a sport where the margin that got him the gold was 0.12 seconds.

You say in your post that he squats a decent amount. So how do you explain him calling 308lbs heavy? There is a video out of the team doing a so-called Hell Day, where they test their limits. He manages a 1RM of 418lbs. He also fails his bench attempt at 264lbs. Wherever the sweet-spot is where taking your strength further would cost more than it would yield in the field, this is just not it for someone like him.

To contrast, here's another Norwegian athlete that does understand how to use his potential.

This snowboarder was quickly working to be in the world elite (beating Mikkel Bang, champion in a bunch of snowboard-things), until a knee injury made that carimpossible.

Powerliting, including squats, seems easier for the knees to handle than strapping your feet into planks and boards and hurling yourself down mountains, so he picked up that instead.

He took his bodyweight up to 170kgs (374lbs), and put up a powerlifting total of 2711lbs which includes a 1080lbs squat. His bad knee eventually stopped him from that as well and I think he currently works in some field of engineering that don't require him to weigh 374lbs anymore.
    a811845662f1a17de9dea27446bf8786_5143d8151060ca165e44c65ad24feb28.jpg
    When interviewed about why the muscles didn't just turn into fat and how it's possible that he lost so much weight so fast (this was a year or so after he retired) he replied that it's simple to lose weight by eating less while continuing to train a bit, and that it was way harder to keep weight on.

If someone like that one day woke up having lost half his ability and genetic potential and found himself cursed with being on the downhill-ski team, do you think, having the experiences he had, that he'd not laugh his teammates out of the weight-room when he realized where they thought their strength was reaching it's limits for what was beneficial?

- Long Shot Louie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast