starting strength gym

Thread: Squat lower back pain & LLD

Default Squat lower back pain & LLD

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Ripp,

I've been running SSLP for about 3 months now. I hit 102.5kg on my squat but my form wasn't great (chest wasn't going up together with the hips and knees caving in a bit) and I started feeling some lower back pain on my left side after the sets (the pain is almost gone by the time I get to the deadlift).

I've always felt that my left lumbar is tighter than my right but I never felt much pain during the squat until I reached 102.5kg.

Then I shot my squat from the back:

YouTube

Seems really asymmetrical to me (even though the camera might not be perfectly aligned). I also noticed my stance was too wide but I corrected that.

I decided to check for a LLD and found out my left tibia is about 5mm longer, although I'll have to confirm that. I've read your article on LLD and so I guess that 5mm is not that significant and I guess I could just ignore it.

What do you think is the reason for my lower back pain? Should I think about shimming?

Here's another angle for the squat to see if you might spot something causing the pain:

YouTube

Thank you for your time Coach.

You cannot personally detect a 5mm leg length discrepancy, and if you could it would not be significant. Your stance is far too wide, and that is keeping you from squatting to depth. Other than that, I see no significant asymmetries.

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't detect it myself, I had a friend check it 3 times using the procedure you explained in your article.

I will narrow my stance, thank you.