starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York barbell?

Default York barbell?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Have a chance to pick up a York barbell and some #45 plates for a what I think is a good deal. Just wondering if I should get the bar also or save my money and by a different one. I can get the plates for 50¢ a pound so I'm gonna do that either way. Thanks.

How much is the bar? Is it straight?

65, he has a couple to choose from says they are all straight. Thanks.

At that price, buy all the straight ones he has.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwhntr247 View Post
    65, he has a couple to choose from says they are all straight. Thanks.
    Pick me up one as well. Nice find.

I have run across a York (looks a lot like the one pictured - rougher knurling, darker color, 28.5mm, similar ends) with bushings that were in horrible shape (one in pieces). A machinist is making new bushings (4) and cleaning up the interior of the ends for me. I will have well over 100 bucks invested at the end of the day but I think I did well. You did much better at 65 . If the collars spin well, great. If they don't, your bushings may be tired which may or may not be a big deal to you.

I think my "adventure" is going to be worth it but you have to find somebody to perform the work. I doubt bushings off the shelf will work and York told me they don't sell those parts (from their Canada mfg facility). However, York was very helpful with technical info. They told me that there is a 20 thousandths clearance between bushing and bar. They also said they switched from brass to steel many years ago. Steel is harder but more susceptible to fracture (mine were fractured). My machinist friend is making brass for me. We're also going to run a tighter tolerance (10 to 15 thousandths - fingers crossed).

I'm not exactly sure what size or how the bearings/bushings look on a York, but you may find something that will work here:
    McMaster-Carr

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what size or how the bearings/bushings look on a York, but you may find something that will work here:
    McMaster-Carr
    Thanks for the link. If the ends of a bar are in very good shape this might be an option. York may be using "off the shelf" parts sourced from somewhere like McMaster Carr but mine won't be at original size when my machinist is done as he'll be "un-egg shaping" the "homes" of the bushings.

Mine (tubes) were beat up and pressing a round bushing into an egg-shaped hole makes for sadness. The "tubes" are at the very outboard most 16-ish inches of a bar where the plate rests. Just inside the tube is what I'll call a donut (part that stops plate from moving inward). These separate parts (pressed together and held together with a roll pin) each have a bushing in them of different sizes only sharing the inner diameter (not width and OD). It is extremely unlikely that I'd be able to find the parts "off the shelf" I need down to the "thousandth of an inch" after the modifications necessary. Sorry to belabor the point here :\. My plan is to put together a thread in the "ends and pieces" section with pictures and descriptions for those interested possibly covering different bar types.

starting strength coach development program
    It would probably be easier, cheaper and less time consuming to gather up all these spent barbells and form them into a throne like on Game of Thrones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast