starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workout without eating in the morning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I get up at 4:00(hungry), put two scoops of protein powder and one scoop of Tier1(caffeine) in a shaker bottle of water & drink on the way to the gym. Tastes shitty, but I’m half asleep until the caffeine kicks in. Start training about 4:45, shower at 6:00, and in the office by 7:00.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    However, there is a serious issue to overcome with training early in the morning if you're in a rush to get to work - getting your bowels to respond on command.
    HAHA this^
    I work out first thing in the AM, usually around 5:45 or so. Never had a desire to eat until after the workout, but figured out that slamming a little food elicits the desired response BEFORE I get into my squat work sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradlynn View Post
    I agree with the above. I workout at 5:30am (wake up at 4:30).
    Are you in cahoots with Jocko Willink?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Button View Post
    Are you in cahoots with Jocko Willink?
    I wish! This is the only time I have to get it in. Have to be at work at 7:30am and the Family makes it hard for night and weekend workouts. Plus there is not that many people in the gym that early. Although there are occasions where I have to wait on a squat rack. It is entertaining watching other people in the squat rack while I wait. Makes the time go by faster!

If you try it and have trouble not eating before work outs in the morning, you can still try eating starchy foods the evening before. Mainstream examples are rice, pasta, potatoes, and bread. I and many others find starches the best fuel source and they stick for a long, long time. For me some are better than others though. White potatoes and grits (I'm Southern) can rapidly raise my blood sugar then crash it, so I'm careful how I use them and never use them to "load" (like I just suggested). I have a system down to where it only takes me about 5 mins to prepare and cook a couple scrambled eggs and 1 serving of instant grits to eat before I go to the gym, and I take a protein/banana smoothie with me for after. It works out very well. The more you eat accompanied with the starches the slower absorbed they are as well, which is why the egg/grits combo works out well for me for the gym.

Caffeine also gives me a boost, too. A cup of coffee usually does it for me personally.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Have trained without eating in the morning for the past 5 years. there's been a few occasions where I had to train in the afternoon after eating lunch, but it does not seem to affect my performance either way.

I work out first thing in the morning, I wake up around 4:45 and starting warm ups around 5:15. I have a glass of water, a cup of coffee, a piece of fruit (usually a banana), and a spoonful of peanut butter. Prior to going to bed, I usually have a protein shake made with 50 grams of protein powder, peanut butter, and whole milk. Rarely am I hungry during a workout.

starting strength coach development program
    I always ate before going to the gym first thing in the morning. Never even considered I could train without food. This thread just blew my mind. It would make life so much easier...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12