starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Men In America

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I like this because it’s an example of Occam’s Razor. I’m skeptical of the *profound* effect of environmental factors on estrogen in men. Yes, plastics have xenoestrogens but is that REALLY causing a catastrophic drop in T? Sure would be nice to blame it on something other than our chosen lifestyle. IMO it’s likely something much simpler.
    There were probably multiple factors. Possibly the shift to a higher carb / lower protein and fat diet and less and less work being hard labor jobs, and more sedentary office work.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    There were probably multiple factors. Possibly the shift to a higher carb / lower protein and fat diet and less and less work being hard labor jobs, and more sedentary office work.
    It's a cause/effect mix-up, most likely. We measure a decline in testosterone and the assumption is that this is just happening to us. Fat people with no muscle mass tend to have lower testosterone. So maybe we're just documenting that men are fatter and weaker than previous generations. I wonder what happens when you control for body composition...

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I like this because it’s an example of Occam’s Razor. I’m skeptical of the *profound* effect of environmental factors on estrogen in men.
    And I'd like to know if an increase in estrogen in males is either associative with or causative of a decrease in testosterone. It may not be.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And I'd like to know if an increase in estrogen in males is either associative with or causative of a decrease in testosterone. It may not be.
    No, it is not, it could be related, but there are also many cases in which the problem is excess conversion by aromatase in each individual. There are even cases in which excess testosterone leads to its own conversion to estrogen.

Also, I would like to add, test and estrogen levels are just like disc protrusions on MRI, you will find many anomalies that don’t necessarilly correlate to the expression of symptoms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123