starting strength gym

Thread: Weekend Archives: Starr: The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press

Default Weekend Archives: Starr: The Quest for a Stronger Overhead Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

From the article: “The number one exercise on my list for improving the press is weighted dips”

“You have to progress to where you’re using at least a hundred pounds for three before these will have an influence on your overhead press. “

Has your experience shown dips to have such a strong carryover to the press?

As someone that does not do dips, 100 lbs sounds like a lofty goal to achieve prior to dips having a influence on your press.

I looked up Marvin Eder based on this article. He seems like a really neat guy. He was a bodybuilder from the pre-steroids era with a 337lb press at 192lbs body weight. Apparently he's still around and giving interviews. 2 years ago, he was complaining about having to give up weighted dips (at age 75) due to a torn rotator cuff. The Barbell Logic guys need to arrange to have him on.

I have a decent press and I can't do a single dip. Not one. It kills my shoulder. It feels like someone is jamming a hot poker in my shoulder joint.

Of course when I was younger I could do like 50. We didn't weight them for some reason.

Presses make my shoulder feel better.