starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modify a Safety Squat Bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    Could he license the design to Rogue for manufacture?

If Rogue is interested. Ask them.

David’s video was from a kickstarter type campaign. He’s come up with a brilliant idea, and seems sincere in developing a product that would benefit some people.
    But I’m guessing there wasn’t enough interest to make it economically viable. If there was enough interest rogue would most likely be producing something similar.

But, is it possible that as starting strength gains more and more steam, and the population ages there may actually be more interest in a product like Davids at this point in time?

I’d be interested for sure. I’ve finally stretched into a high bar squat. Can’t hit low bar yet. These handles would be nice.

As I was searching for a solution that would allow me to use a regular bar I came across several handles, including the video previously shown in this thread. I even fabricated a couple things trying to come up with a solution. I never found anything that felt right for me. But I'm a special snowflake. If I could possibly do it, I would be using my B&R bar for low bar squats. I was working in the orchard today driving a planting spike into the ground so my wife could put fertilizer spikes in, and I had to stop to put my shoulder back into proper alignment. I need another tune-up, but it won't get me into a low bar squat.

There is also a device called the "Top Squat" that has handles and is used with a straight bar.

Mark, why do you fight innovation. You go about as if the barbell was designed correctly the first time, therefore it's perfect. It was just a solution to a problem that existed. What makes it more ideal than a chambered bar, a ssb or a Buffalo bar. All equally loadable. I only see it as a standard bar , not inherently wrong, but not the best either. It comes across as naive to believe it cannot be improved upon, whether by construction, or design. With the work I'm in my body is beaten down daily, it helps knowing somebody, at some point, decided an alternative wouldn't make the strength paradigm completely shit its pants.

I'm sorry, Eric, but this is gibberish. Could you rewrite it for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericreichelt81 View Post
    Mark, why do you fight innovation. You go about as if the barbell was designed correctly the first time, therefore it's perfect. It was just a solution to a problem that existed. What makes it more ideal than a chambered bar, a ssb or a Buffalo bar. All equally loadable. I only see it as a standard bar , not inherently wrong, but not the best either. It comes across as naive to believe it cannot be improved upon, whether by construction, or design. With the work I'm in my body is beaten down daily, it helps knowing somebody, at some point, decided an alternative wouldn't make the strength paradigm completely shit its pants.
    A straight cylinder is the easiest geometry for manufacture compared to the other designs you mentioned. That means you can get the same quality for a cheaper price, or a high quality for the same price.

It is also the most versatile in terms of usage; you can't/shouldn't clean with a safety squat bar. You just squat with it.

You could make the argument that an alternative bar is preferable for certain populations, but unless you own and operate a gym, it's far easier to modify a normal bar (straps) than it is to buy a different bar.

Finally, any differences this modified bar would make for a "normal" individual capable of a low bar back squat would likely be small. Think of all of the minutia that gets missed by people without a coach; do you really want to have them buy a different bar when consumption of information and video taping is free and yields more benefit?

Shit, even the low bar squat versus the high bar squat is not that huge of a difference compared to "any squat variant" versus running.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

No.

I made and used handles like these until the Horn Stretch limbered me up enough to get into position without them. Always got funny looks in the gym.

squat shoulder pain - solution - DIY bar handles

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericreichelt81 View Post
    No.
    I suspected as much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast