starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Modify a Safety Squat Bar

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Putting the camber 90 degrees from the handle will cause the bar to want to slide off your shoulders and require you to keep downward pressure on the handles to maintain it in it's position. AS the weight gets heavier, this may become an issue. Having the camber point more toward the handles creates the yoke effect of the pads which helps to balance the bar. Really cheap ones have the camber pointed same direction as the handles. many are about 15 degrees off set. There are others that range to 45 degrees and then the adjustable one that was referenced before. There is another one with a curved pad that looks like it creates a low bar position, but it was $800 plus shipping. I went with one that is 45 degrees and I am very happy with it. It isn't quite a low bar squat but at least I can train.

Thank you everyone for you responses. :-)

[PizzaDad]
    I believe you are correct that the camber is to keep the bar from sliding off your back. Because the safety squat bar has those handles the posterior delts are not forming a shelf for the bar to sit on. So altering the bar is not a good option.

[Jonathon Sullivan] "With practice, you can get pretty close to low bar mechanics." Jonathon, What do you alter in the movement so the lifter can bend over without pitching forward? They do fairly well until the weight gets to about 50% of body weight.

[Fulcrum] I like those squat handles. I think they show promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you realize that David doesn't sell these?
    That's a shame. I cannot find any other similar product that is currently for sale. I guess I am out of luck unless I employ a machinist.

You could just squat with a barbell.

You could just squat with a barbell.
    Would that work? Seems kind of out there, no?

On rare occasions, a novel approach like this works.

On rare occasions, a novel approach like this works.
    Gosh, I hope you're sure about that. Otherwise, anyone digging up this thread nine years from now might look right foolish. They may even hurt themselves trying a little!

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Gosh, I hope you're sure about that. Otherwise, anyone digging up this thread nine years from now might look right foolish. They may even hurt themselves trying a little!

Of course it would work Scald! But once awhile you may have a Special SnowFlake like myself. Someone with arthritic, permanent separation of the right shoulder. Now my SSF status was confirmed by my local SSC. Yeah getting hit by a car while walking to work kinda sucks. So I use special squat bars like the buffalo and the SSB. Now is it optimal? No. But I'm not competing on the platform anymore. Just the glorious sport of aging. As for numbers on linear progression using both bars I hit mid 300's in my late 40's (50 next year) For technique buffalo bar allows me to squat according to the Blue Book without the stabbing pain in my right shoulder (think of the pain of a bad tooth ache). SSB form wise is like a front squat described in Rip's FS video. Deadlifts fine with a straight bar. Bench pressing is with the buffalo the bar, close grip. The Press with the Swiss/Football. Both optimal? No. My herniated lower back is a walk in the park compared to my shoulder. But what am I gonna do? NOT train?

I'm not gonna play along and pretend like I was talking about or to exceptions to the rule. You may wish to put me in that position, but I won't put with it. Up with which, I won't put. But yes, not training is never an option.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you realize that David doesn't sell these?
    Could he license the design to Rogue for manufacture?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast