starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Edge Breakthrough!!! The Telegraph!! Discovery!!! Science!!!

Default Cutting Edge Breakthrough!!! The Telegraph!! Discovery!!! Science!!!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Inevitable muscle wasting of old age could be stopped, scientists believe

This is frustrating. They've discovered Grade School.

"Most people become weaker in their later years, as their leg muscles get smaller and less able to bear weight, which often leads to disability and falls. But until now, nobody has known why the process happens or if it can be reversed."
    Maybe if we were to... I don't know... increase muscle mass? Or just prescribe them some steroids maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Maybe if we were to... I don't know... increase muscle mass? Or just prescribe them some steroids maybe.
    Nah. Since:

Quote Originally Posted by The Telegraph View Post
    [...]scientists at Manchester Metropolitan University have discovered that by the age of 75, people have between 30 and 50 per cent fewer nerves controlling the muscles in their legs.
    they're just gonna make a hugely expensive exoskeleton to electrocute old folks into walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Nah. Since:

they're just gonna make a hugely expensive exoskeleton to electrocute old folks into walking.
    This is genius. Let’s just put old folks into bench shirts and squats suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    Or just prescribe them some steroids maybe.
    Would this be such a terrible idea? If they can’t do a body weight squat, maybe falling is more dangerous than any steroid side affects? I’m training a 92 year old, he fell over and lost all his progress since we started training. It’s so slow.

About 9 paragraphs in, the article mentions that exercise can cause nerves to branch and rescue detached muscles.

Does this nerve branching occur in healthy lifters with no "detached" muscles?

Isn't loss of nervious intervention a standard part of atrophy?

That "inevitable" loss of strength could be prevented not even by strength training, but cycling, makes me think it must be from barely moving.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    Would this be such a terrible idea? If they can’t do a body weight squat, maybe falling is more dangerous than any steroid side affects? I’m training a 92 year old, he fell over and lost all his progress since we started training. It’s so slow.
    I personally believe that oxandrolone/Anavar is terribly underprescribed for older people. At 20mg/day, it could be extremely beneficial. BUT, we can't talk about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I personally believe that oxandrolone/Anavar is terribly underprescribed for older people. At 20mg/day, it could be extremely beneficial. BUT, we can't talk about that.
    Let's just prescribe them extremely harmful and addictive opiates while they waste away instead. Ridiculous.

starting strength coach development program
    I will never understand a society that believes it’s ok to take hormones to change genders is horrified someone might take something to help them maintain muscle mass. Same society that thinks a ten year old lifting weights is child abuse but will let same kid play a sport known for frequent concussions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast