starting strength gym

Thread: Video: Sully: Hypertension and Lifestyle Factors

Default Video: Sully: Hypertension and Lifestyle Factors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I laughed out loud (at work) at the pigeonhole joke at 9:00.

Thanks Sully,

Good advice.

I am pushing 60 and been fighting Hypertension for the last several years. I keep it just low enough where the doctor is not quite ready to put me on meds. I am on the Airdyne Mon. Tue. Thur. Fri. morning for 20-30 minutes followed by light stretching. I lift Monday and Thursday evening with Prowler walking on Tuesday and Friday evening followed by more stretching with Saturday being a day of hiking, biking, kayaking, or yard work. My diet is somewhat between Dash and Mediterranean ( Tough for a Southern boy). Drinking lots of water. Never been a soda fan but love sweet tea. Sleeping straight through a night is still an issue (has been since a kid) but it is better. I use to run on two to four hours a night. Now five to seven. Working on eight to ten. I have gone from an average of 160 over 90 to 120 over 70 even though it still jumps to 130 over 80 once in awhile. I still want to try to get it where it was as a kid of 110/60.

My one question is (and I am sorry if I missed it) is caffeine's role in hypertension? I love coffee as much as a good wine, beer or bourbon, but I have cut down from a pot a day to 2 cups a day and the doctor keeps suggesting go to one cup a day or decaf. Any substantial research on coffee and high blood pressure?

Thanks again.

Good video.

A lot of younger people could probably do with listening to this too, it's shocking how many young people have high blood pressure. Bad diets and inactivity are the norm.

Well, that didn't take long.

The vegans have begun to weigh in.

They don't bother me much here, after I called their odd habits an Eating Disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They don't bother me much here, after I called their odd habits an Eating Disorder.
    I'm not sure if it's an eating disorder or a religion or both. But I do know that you can't take them out to dinner with you.

As you know, they either come around or they don't, but you can't talk them out of it.

My doc prescribed BP meds for me and I'm fighting it tooth/nail. I'm 67 and BP is 145-150/85-90. My online searches found these new guidelines from WebMD...

"Adults aged 60 or older should only take blood pressure medication if their blood pressure exceeds 150/90, which sets a higher bar for treatment than the current guideline of 140/90, according to the report, published online Dec. 18 in the Journal of the American Medical Association."

Anyone else heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    My doc prescribed BP meds for me and I'm fighting it tooth/nail. I'm 67 and BP is 145-150/85-90. My online searches found these new guidelines from WebMD...

"Adults aged 60 or older should only take blood pressure medication if their blood pressure exceeds 150/90, which sets a higher bar for treatment than the current guideline of 140/90, according to the report, published online Dec. 18 in the Journal of the American Medical Association."

Anyone else heard this?
    This keeps going back and forth. In residency it was hammered into us that the goal for older adults is SBP < 150, but there are now trials (SPRINT) that show that they actually do better at lower blood pressures, and so the old guidelines are back again. In reality, nobody really knows how to treat blood pressure, anyway (I'm being completely serious about this), so it doesn't really matter what the goals are, your doctor probably doesn't know how to get you there, anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Well, that didn't take long.

The vegans have begun to weigh in.
    I noticed that too. It's because you aren't being judgmental about anything and are coming across as intelligent, unbiased and open minded which of course is the best thing to be. Please don't let the extremists change you on that! Some "vegans" on Youtube are relentless and very religious and judgmental. The ONLY way you can deal with them is to keep being the way you are, stand your ground, and IGNORE them. If they can't get attention they will go away. They are the reason I stopped telling people I was "vegan" (which is a broad term, anyway) and started saying "whole food plant based". I became embarrassed. And when I mentioned to them I wasn't going by vegan anymore, I was out of the "club". Just being a healthy eater isn't good enough for them and I'm supposed to take on their label. I was ignorant, stupid, a traitor and some said I never was even "vegan" to start with! LMAO! You should see some people's reactions when I tell them I went back to eating lots of meat for strength training.

That's why I told you on your channel thanks for not being political or religious about the whole thing. That is exactly what it is for some of these people and if you engage the wrong ones it will be never ending because they aren't going to listen to you and only try to convert you. I'm just letting you know all this here because I don't know how much experience you have with them. Rip just deflects them outright so of course not many of them are here to start with and I felt it would be more trouble free to tell you here.

Nutrition and health has always been a big interest of mine, and everyone in my family is or has been in the medical industry as well, so I guess it's just in my blood. So I hope do hope you do more videos for SS because you're a good instructor and it is needed.