starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Vein Thrombosis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by pghickster View Post
    No that's why I'm scouring the internet.

On one hand, sure a damaged vein is going to have to work extra hard while lifting/running, so I understand the concern. Especially if swelling is noticed. On the other hand I think a strong flexible body would be much better at using the available vein capacity to get the job done.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot of research on PTS and the benefits/drawbacks to a training program.
    And there never will be any such research, for various reasons. Remember that all tissues adapt to training, including veins. It's your leg, you get to decide.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Very much looking forward to Barbell Prescription.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pghickster View Post
    No that's why I'm scouring the internet.

On one hand, sure a damaged vein is going to have to work extra hard while lifting/running, so I understand the concern. Especially if swelling is noticed. On the other hand I think a strong flexible body would be much better at using the available vein capacity to get the job done.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot of research on PTS and the benefits/drawbacks to a training program. Very encouraging to hear squats helped Eddie.
    My mom had a dvt/pe with PTS, post pe syndrome and chronic swelling. She is currently training with a SS trainer. I finally convinced her to give up doing the silly light weight stuff she used to do and squat. I think it's helping, but it's early still. But for god's sake, man! Don't run! My dad used to be a lifelong runner, but can't now because of severe tendinitis in his feet when he does it. He was doing the lifts for a while, but not very consistently. I can't convince him it won't ruin his knees, he's convinced I'm going to ruin mine. But my knees don't hurt, His feet? I guess that's different.

Also, don't drop a plate on your foot. My mom did last week. 25lbs. Direct hit. She didn't break anything, lucky, but isn't going to be able to put training shoes on for a while. She's damn lucky it's not worse.

I'll be honest PG Once I started training anxiety almost got the better of me. I couldn't find any information either and this internet turns into a black hole real quick. I said to myself the hell with it. What's the worst that could happen? I get another clot? At least this time, I'll know the symptoms right away and I'll know what to expect.

There's a little risk in all of it, but I'm glad I took it. I feel invincible nowadays.

Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie Rochester View Post
    I'll be honest PG Once I started training anxiety almost got the better of me. I couldn't find any information either and this internet turns into a black hole real quick. I said to myself the hell with it. What's the worst that could happen? I get another clot? At least this time, I'll know the symptoms right away and I'll know what to expect.

There's a little risk in all of it, but I'm glad I took it. I feel invincible nowadays.

Good luck man.
    Well, I don't have any evidence for this, but it seems to me that lifting should probably lower your risk of clotting. You can't fix the valves in your veins, but one of the primary ways that venous blood travels back to the heart is through muscle contraction, you tend to do a lot of that while lifting, not to mention increasing your blood flow. Active, flowing blood is much less likely to clot than blood that just sits there. DVTs happen when blood pools. Pretty difficult for that to happen during a heavy squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Well, I don't have any evidence for this, but it seems to me that lifting should probably lower your risk of clotting. You can't fix the valves in your veins, but one of the primary ways that venous blood travels back to the heart is through muscle contraction, you tend to do a lot of that while lifting, not to mention increasing your blood flow. Active, flowing blood is much less likely to clot than blood that just sits there. DVTs happen when blood pools. Pretty difficult for that to happen during a heavy squat.
    ^

This. I can't give an advice to OP. If it were me, however, I'd train.

This is interesting, and I'd like to hear what the OP decides as a COA.

As an aside, I had major trauma to my lower left leg in my younger years (early 20's). Essentially tib/fib broken in 5 places (compound fracture, with ejection of some of the tibia), fractured ankle, and two broken metatarsal (compound fractures that punctured the top of my boot). With all that, I was told by the ortho that the main concern was the severe vascular tissue damage that had been done, and that I may lose my leg due to lack of blood flow. Fortunately, there was apparently enough blood flow that I kept my leg. That being said, for the next year and a half (after a year of no duty/light duty recovery) whenever I would stand or (gotta love the Corps) have to run, I'd get swelling (still remember the sausage toes I'd get). But, as the ortho told me, my body would adapt. Whatever vascular pathways were lost due to injury, would eventually be negated as the remaining tissue adapted and enlarged to support additional blood flow. He told me I'd likely always have slightly smaller muscles in that leg, but I should recover fine. He was absolutely correct (which I shouldn't have doubted, considering his history as a former Ortho for the Indianapolis Colts, before going into the Navy later in life).

I say all this, only to point out that (at least in my experience) the human body is an incredibly resilient organism. It would make sense that the same principles would apply in the case of the OP. Give it time, and keep working at it, and the body will adapt. Nature abhors inefficiency...

If anything, I'd expect (as Pluripotent said) that muscle contraction and hypertrophy would augment venous return, thus lessening the symptoms of post-phlebitic syndrome

Lower extremity exercise of some variety (sometimes in combination with an anti-gravity garment) is the most effective prescription for anyone with lower extremity venous hypertension as seen in leaky valves, pregnancy, post-DVT, etc

starting strength coach development program
    The all day everyday compression socks and aspirin worked well. Received and read BBP while keeping the leg up. Started the training program this week. Maybe later in spring will add back in my fartlek trail runs.
    All in all I'd rather keep an eye out for another clot than look like a soft fat blob at 60.

Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    This is interesting, and I'd like to hear what the OP decides as a COA.

As an aside, I had major trauma to my lower left leg in my younger years (early 20's). Essentially tib/fib broken in 5 places (compound fracture, with ejection of some of the tibia), fractured ankle, and two broken metatarsal (compound fractures that punctured the top of my boot). With all that, I was told by the ortho that the main concern was the severe vascular tissue damage that had been done, and that I may lose my leg due to lack of blood flow. Fortunately, there was apparently enough blood flow that I kept my leg. That being said, for the next year and a half (after a year of no duty/light duty recovery) whenever I would stand or (gotta love the Corps) have to run, I'd get swelling (still remember the sausage toes I'd get). But, as the ortho told me, my body would adapt. Whatever vascular pathways were lost due to injury, would eventually be negated as the remaining tissue adapted and enlarged to support additional blood flow. He told me I'd likely always have slightly smaller muscles in that leg, but I should recover fine. He was absolutely correct (which I shouldn't have doubted, considering his history as a former Ortho for the Indianapolis Colts, before going into the Navy later in life).

I say all this, only to point out that (at least in my experience) the human body is an incredibly resilient organism. It would make sense that the same principles would apply in the case of the OP. Give it time, and keep working at it, and the body will adapt. Nature abhors inefficiency...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12