starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Vein Thrombosis

Default Deep Vein Thrombosis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings. So glad to have come across this site. Great resource.

I've been searching the forum and can't seem to find info on my issue:

I'm dealing with mild Post Thrombotic Syndrome after a July 2016 DVT in left leg. I'm concerned that weight training, particularly squats could increase swelling/longer term issues.

Details: 51 years old. 5'8" 182 lbs. (long way from my distance runner days at 128) male. Long time runner but have been lifting doing SL 5x5 on and off for 3 years. Hernia (2014), PC (2015 in remission) and the DVT in 2016. No other current issues than the PTS. In an ideal world I'd like to lift three days/run three days per week.

Any input would be appreciated. I did just order a copy of BBP to check out a perhaps more age appropriate schedule.

I've never dealt with PTS. What is the status of the affected vessels?

Reduced ability of the valve to push blood back up leg resulting in swelling of calf and ankle. Ultra sound shows reduced flow due to damage. Nothing like the images you'd see in a Google search but noticeable swelling after flights (on road 100 nights/year) and time on feet.

What does it do when you train?

That's been hard to isolate as I'm either on a plane or sitting long hours at a desk. But it appears 45 min runs appear to swell it up a bit.

Doctor has me wearing compression socks all day every day now along with full strength aspirin. Both have help quite a bit.

Consult your doctor, of course, though advice may vary widely. I'm sure Dr. Sullivan will have something of value to add.

I suffered a DVT in the popliteal vein behind the knee two years ago. 4 days in the hospital on heparin, and then 6 months on Xarelto.

This has been my personal experience:

41 y/o male

I was able to get off the Xarelto and start a linear progression along with basic conditioning (walking + C2 rower). I used to have a sensation of heaviness in the DVT leg from bad venous return if I sat for an hour or longer. Squats helped that a lot. I went from wearing compression socks all the time to no sock. Still will wear them for long car rides and flights. It took me a bit to get over the mental stumbling block of thinking I could cause another clot.

For me, because of the lurking possibility of another DVT excellent form is extremely important. I pay attention to any kind of knee sliding or knee collapse inward when squatting. I make sure to get those knees out. Also bought myself a pair of squat shoes. I run more of an HLM progression these days and am conservative with the weight jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by pghickster View Post
    That's been hard to isolate as I'm either on a plane or sitting long hours at a desk. But it appears 45 min runs appear to swell it up a bit.

Doctor has me wearing compression socks all day every day now along with full strength aspirin. Both have help quite a bit.
    I mean when you TRAIN, not run.

Sorry for not being clear: During the actual weight training session there is no pain/additional swelling. I've assumed the swelling could simply be related to either having been at a desk all day or on a plane two days earlier. However, I've heard conflicting advice; avoid weight bearing activity/weights, running and flexibility will all help.

Quote Originally Posted by pghickster View Post
    However, I've heard conflicting advice; avoid weight bearing activity/weights, running and flexibility will all help.
    Given your experience with this, does this advice make the slightest bit of sense?

starting strength coach development program
    No that's why I'm scouring the internet.

On one hand, sure a damaged vein is going to have to work extra hard while lifting/running, so I understand the concern. Especially if swelling is noticed. On the other hand I think a strong flexible body would be much better at using the available vein capacity to get the job done.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a lot of research on PTS and the benefits/drawbacks to a training program. Very encouraging to hear squats helped Eddie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast