starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Injuries

Default Frequent Injuries

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started my barbell program in 2011, mostly to strengthen my knees that weren't responding enough to physical therapy. I have had a lot of success, and competed in 3 meets in the last 4 years. Here is a link to the video from my most recent meet: YouTube

I'm a 35-year-old woman, 5' 8", 235 lbs.

I have had a lot of minor injuries in the past (back, knees, calf, wrist). Usually seeing a therapeutic masseuse can get things worked out, and I'm back on track to lifting heavy in a few weeks. Lately though, I'm getting more injuries and in general just feeling a lot more pain outside of the gym. Lots of knots, pulled muscles, feeling achy all over. I've hurt my back a few times stretching during a warmup or cooldown. It makes me hesitant to push for gains, worried that I'll injure myself again.

I stretch after every workout, and sometimes on rest days. I ice my knees, eat bananas and avocados, and recently started taking glucosamine chondroitin daily. What more should I be doing, or what shouldn't I be doing? My lifting total is only 62 lbs away from qualifying for USAPL Nationals, and I want to get back on track so that I can qualify for 2019 in Chicago.

Thanks,
    - Abby

Who taught you the lifts? Who is your coach now? Do you train by yourself? I see several form problems, and these are the common reason for repetitive injuries. But stop stretching immediately. You've already figured out why.

My husband and I lift together. We learned the lifts from the books and website. We don't have a coach. When I don't stretch, I feel awful the next day. I feel tight and have a hard time moving around.

I would love to hear how I can correct my form.

But when you stretch, you hurt yourself. You'll probably need to hire a coach to correct your form.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But when you stretch, you hurt yourself. You'll probably need to hire a coach to correct your form.
    This. Stop stretching and see a coach. They are worth there weight in gold. Form is everything and even an ssc will need a coach from time to time.

I can't agree with this more. I was pretty constantly tweaking something off and on for a few years as the weight went up. I finally decided that getting to a SS seminar was critical. Since then, going on 3 years now, I've seen no form related (or any) injuries and I've weights to all my lifts that had pretty much stalled due to not stellar form. Fix your form and I would be stunned if your perceived need to stretch does not completely go away.

Why is stretching bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    Why is stretching bad?
    Why is stretching good?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Why is stretching good?
    I'm not saying everyone needs to stretch. I was under the impression it can be beneficial some very inflexible individuals, and a waste of time for others. The reason I asked was because I was not aware of that it could aggrevate injuries.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Why is stretching good?
    We can't get the answer, unless someone takes the bait. In that spirit I offer the answer, "Because we were told it warms you up and increases mobility!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast