starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip #63: Yum.

Default Ask Rip #63: Yum.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I don't understand all the hate that the noble pineapple has been getting recently. Hawaiian pizza is delicious and all the disdain is just another sign that our society is degrading into some scary, terrible dystopia.

Mark I know that your discussion on food is more slanted to the US folk and probably more of those of you in Texas, however those of us that live in the outer suburbs of the US such as here in Aus, would have to say that a sandwedge is a golf club used to get the ball out of a sand trap, now on the other hand if you are referring to a sandwich us Australians would classify it as two pieces of bread with butter on it and whatever else you want in between. A hot dog on the other hand Aussie style the bun is toasted and buttered with a saveloy in the middle that has been boiled then with mustard added. Although I like the (what did you call that thing a wiener?)saveloy BBQ style with hot pickle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin View Post
    I don't understand all the hate that the noble pineapple has been getting recently. Hawaiian pizza is delicious and all the disdain is just another sign that our society is degrading into some scary, terrible dystopia.
    Kyle true Italian pizza does not use pineapple, that was invented by a Greek guy Sam Panopoulos, however, yes pineapple is good on pizza, but only Aussie Pineapple is best grown in Queensland.

Big Pineapple - Wikipedia

I believe that I am eminently qualified to comment on this. Pineapple is good on pizza. It is extraordinary when combined with a sweet, smokey pork BBQ. I spent 3 months hand crafting my pizza oven to do exactly that. Make fantastic, traditional pizza and explore the outer edge of pizza creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Kyle true Italian pizza does not use pineapple, that was invented by a Greek guy Sam Panopoulos, however, yes pineapple is good on pizza, but only Aussie Pineapple is best grown in Queensland.

Big Pineapple - Wikipedia
    Here's my problem with "true Italian" everything. Food, culture and even ethnicity varies from region to region in Italy, even from household to household. This is probably due to them being quite creative and inspired people. That becomes a problem when I see the expected protests from "Italians" (Americans) and even citizens of Italy themselves about something not being right or true.

Martha Stewart put up a very simple pasta recipe on Youtube some time ago and it blew up in popularity, because it was pretty good. The comments were almost flooded with protests from "real Italians" and how she was a disgrace for doing that to pasta. Come to find out, it's something an Italian restaurant owner showed one of her scouts how to make when she was touring Italy, and she brought the recipe back to Martha to use on her show. Yea that's how "true" everything "Italian" is.

As far as a Greek guy coming up with the pizza topping, that doesn't blow my mind at all. The best pizza, in fact one of the best, most gourmet things I've ever had the privilege of tasting was pizza from a little Greek restaurant in the small town in which I grew up. I'll never forget the first bite and taste of it, because it was an experience I never had with food before. After that all pizza (I've had everything from Pizza Hut to New York Italian pizza) was...bleh.

When I lived in New York I told an Italian friend of this and all he could do was scoff and mock, both them and me. It finally dawned on me it's one thing with some of them and one thing only, and that is some perceived PRIDE.

But here's the thing. Not only do recipes vary from household to household in Italy, imagine what happens in America when people from all nationalities and cultures and backgrounds get their hands on all others' recipes and stuff. The best winds up getting combined with the best, by the best, word gets out and something new and different is born. That is a GOOD thing. That's part of the beauty of America.

So all those critical of Americans when they speak of food, you have to understand our way here. We may keep a name of something to honor its heritage, but it can be many times removed from what it was originally. And that's ok by us, as long as it's good.

Oh yea and I like pineapple on the right pizza, too. I used to make my own, but I'm sure nowhere near the level of Pizzadad's, who with his "exploring the outer edge of pizza creativity" is a perfect example of what we like to do as Americans.

Pineapple is definitely good to go, especially with bacon and onion and maybe jalapeno. Canadian "bacon", though. That shit is dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I believe that I am eminently qualified to comment on this. Pineapple is good on pizza. It is extraordinary when combined with a sweet, smokey pork BBQ. I spent 3 months hand crafting my pizza oven to do exactly that. Make fantastic, traditional pizza and explore the outer edge of pizza creativity.
    Um, that sounds amazing. Can I assume that the pizza creativity and awesome oven are attached to a business or do you just have a lot of friends lining up for pizza night at your house?

This is the creepiest Ask Rip I've seen. It's like someone coerced Rip into doing this and now he's just imagining killing the camera man is horrific ways while saying the words.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Martin View Post
    Um, that sounds amazing. Can I assume that the pizza creativity and awesome oven are attached to a business or do you just have a lot of friends lining up for pizza night at your house?
    Not a business. It was simply a passion for good food that took on a life of it’s own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast