starting strength gym

Thread: Your video on lower back position control

Default Your video on lower back position control

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr Rippetoe. I’m a bit confused on using your low back in the squat. I’ve watched your lower back position control video, and I’m able to contract my lumbar. In previous post by other people that had a similar question as I do, you say not to use the “dick” cue at the top of the squat because that would cause overextension. You just say to “set” your back in normal anatomical extension. How do you “set” your back without contracting it? In the book, you say at the bottom of a deadlfit most people(including myself)need to think about overextending their low back to get in normal extension. Can this be applied at the bottom of the squat? If it helps here is what I do after I unrack the squat:
    1. Big breath
    2. Contract abs
    3. Knees and hips unlock at same time
    4. Descend into the squat
    5. JUST before reaching the bottom of the squat, I use the “dick cue” to fight against lumbar flexion.

Is this correct? If not, please explain what is correct. Thank you for your time and free service.

Use the dick cue right before you set your abs at the top. Hold it that way for the whole movement. Exhale only when you finish the rep at the top. Repeat the procedure every rep.

Sorry if I’m not understanding, but doing the dick cue then contracting my abs seems to produce the same result as ONLY contracting my abs. Am I doing it wrong?

I don't know, Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby32 View Post
    Sorry if I’m not understanding, but doing the dick cue then contracting my abs seems to produce the same result as ONLY contracting my abs. Am I doing it wrong?
    Could be you're already extending your lower back when you raise your chest up, as is the case with me. I don't really think about my dick in any of my sets or reps and my squat and lower back are just fine.

Not saying this is the case, tho. Do not take this as medical or legal advice. By reading this message, you waiver all rights to persecution. You acknowledge the risk of injury includes paralysis or death and knowingly and freely assume the risk yourself, even if arising from my negligence. So there.