starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I undertraining?

Default Am I undertraining?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ever since introducing power cleans to my program 4 weeks ago, I haven't been able to progress my Deadlift at all. I have applied to First Three Questions to the situation but this hasn't helped.

My question is; is the reduction in volume and frequency for the Deadlift stopping me from progressing it?

Numbers? All of them.

I should have added that all other lifts are increasing every session as planned.

Squat is currently at 102.5kg/226lbs, Press is 45kg/99lbs, Bench is 67.5kg/149lbs and Power Clean is 50kg/110lbs. As of today for Chins I managed 7/5/4. My PR for five Deadlifts is 102.5kg/226lbs and has been for the last 4 weeks since introducing the Power Clean.

Bodyweight has gone up from 155lbs to 175lbs since starting the program just over 2 months ago. Calories are at 4500 per day. Rest on the latest Deadlift which was 104kg/229lbs x 3 was 8 minutes from the last warm up set. 104kg was a jump of two 0.75kg micro plates from the workout prior. Sleep at the very least 8 hours a night. I am 21 years old and 5ft10. Think I have covered everything. Thanks.

Never heard of this happening. Drop the cleans and add the deadlift workout back in and see what happens.

Is it your grip that is giving out?

Will try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

No it's more that I just can't get another rep out. I suppose it won't hurt to try a hook grip for my next Deadlift but I can't see it making much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordbyrne96 View Post
    No it's more that I just can't get another rep out. I suppose it won't hurt to try a hook grip for my next Deadlift but I can't see it making much difference.
    I (re)discovered it's really easy for your grip to limit your deadlift without you realizing it. I was stuck at 315 for a long time before a coach told me to try some straps, and immediately could pull 325 and on up. I had *no idea* the grip was the problem. I can now alternate grip up to 435, and I can double overhand up to 350 or so.

Deadlifts work your grip, but that's not why we do them, so don't let your grip limit your deadlift.

The grip thing is a huge issue of misunderstanding by the new-to-lifting community. I suspect that 30% (maybe more?) of the people that come to see me for first time coaching have gotten stuck on their deadlifts in the high 200s / low 300s because they are still doing DOH and won't switch until someone tell them to. Not uncommon to set an easy 20-40 lb PR right there on the spot by switching a hand underneath. I think the problem is they think the difference is like 5-10 lbs between DOH and mixed/hook/strapped.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    The grip thing is a huge issue of misunderstanding by the new-to-lifting community. I suspect that 30% (maybe more?) of the people that come to see me for first time coaching have gotten stuck on their deadlifts in the high 200s / low 300s because they are still doing DOH and won't switch until someone tell them to. Not uncommon to set an easy 20-40 lb PR right there on the spot by switching a hand underneath. I think the problem is they think the difference is like 5-10 lbs between DOH and mixed/hook/strapped.
    Sheesh....my alternating grip is about 175# heavier than my DOH. Then again. My right hand is only slightly more than a raptor claw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast