starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán Maher View Post
    Thanks,

I know this is how the exercises are laid out in the book, it was the specific quote I was looking for though. I've gone throught about 18 pages of google results and haven't found it. I'm pretty sure the reason Rip gives is because the Squat uses the most muscle mass across the longest range of motion. This fact coupled with the highest CNS activity of the 5 lifts make the squat more important to do than the deadlift, even though the deadlift will build greater "raw" strength and higher numbers compared to the squat. It was something along those lines, I'd just love to read/hear it again.
    Out of pure curiosity........why would you scroll through 18 pages of anything to find the answer to a purely hypothetical question that will (1) never have to tested and (2) that you already know the answer to???

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán Maher View Post
    Thanks,

I know this is how the exercises are laid out in the book, it was the specific quote I was looking for though. I've gone throught about 18 pages of google results and haven't found it. I'm pretty sure the reason Rip gives is because the Squat uses the most muscle mass across the longest range of motion. This fact coupled with the highest CNS activity of the 5 lifts make the squat more important to do than the deadlift, even though the deadlift will build greater "raw" strength and higher numbers compared to the squat. It was something along those lines, I'd just love to read/hear it again.
    There was an interview with the black riffle coffee guys. I believe its at the end of the video linked here:
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    Interesting how you came up with those responses to quotes that aren't mine. I also don't think squatting is the end of your workout, but the beginning. Next comes the pressing exercise, which is going to kick your ass if you let it. Finally comes the pulling exercise which is going to kick your ass if you let it. My workouts are never marked with a sense of ease or performed in a state of relax, so I can't say I'm ever "glad the hard part is over", end scare quote.

Pain is the reason why I started lifting weights and the one driving and guiding force over the years. I know exactly what'll happen when I stop squatting. And I don't know why Bosch is relevant at all.

I think we generally agree, tho: lift weights and don't not lift weights. And art is pretty neat.
    I just quoted you cause you quoted the thing about squats being "the one." Sorry to have used you as a starting off point, but it seemed convenient at the time. And you'll understand Bosch more as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    I just quoted you cause you quoted the thing about squats being "the one." Sorry to have used you as a starting off point, but it seemed convenient at the time.
    That's ok.

And you'll understand Bosch more as you get older.
    I doubt that very much, but I guess the jury's out on that till I turn "older".

Quote Originally Posted by CarteringKat View Post
    There was an interview with the black riffle coffee guys. I believe its at the end of the video linked here:
    YouTube
    This isn't what I was read, it was from at least a decade ago, but it's pretty much what was said in that interview. Thank you very much for sending this to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Out of pure curiosity........why would you scroll through 18 pages of anything to find the answer to a purely hypothetical question that will (1) never have to tested and (2) that you already know the answer to???
    Andy, what can I say... I'm a sucker for nostalgia! Many thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri Kotte View Post
    I was said in an interview. Possibly an episode of #AskRip
    Thanks

Not sure why anyone would "just do one exercise." Anyone who will go through all the trouble of squatting will probably be willing to do at least a few other exercises. Plus, squats are the most brutal. Once you're done with them, everything else is cake, so you'd really be cheating yourself to stop there.

As long as we're listing the results of not training, let's not forget pain. I can tell you that you won't like what happens to you if you don't squat. You will come to understand the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch from a first hand perspective, however.
    Again, I never said in my post that I wanted to do "just one exercise". When I lift, I squat, press, Deadlift or Squat, Bench Press and Clean. I merely had a question for Rip about something I remember him saying in an interview about a decade ago. I'd like to read/hear it again because any time someone I know who competes in a sport that isn't a barbell sport tells me they don't have the time to to do weight training to improve their strength and thus, their sport, I am reminded of how Rip said something along the lines of if a person were to only do one of the 5 main lifts that the squat is the one he would tell them to do. This is reinforced by what he says at about 1hr 8mins into this video that was posted in this thread:
    YouTube

As long as we're listing the results of not training, let's not forget pain. I can tell you that you won't like what happens to you if you don't squat. You will come to understand the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch from a first hand perspective, however.
    I know a lot of people, who've lived well into their eighties or the early 90's, without squatting even once in a life. Do they have pain? I guess yes. So do the ones who've been squatting for years with 1.5-2 BW. Sometimes.
    And the Dutch guy, I really like his works; it's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I know a lot of people, who've lived well into their eighties or the early 90's, without squatting even once in a life. Do they have pain? I guess yes. So do the ones who've been squatting for years with 1.5-2 BW. Sometimes.
    And the Dutch guy, I really like his works; it's incredible.
    Well, there's run of the mill pain and there's Hieronymus Bosch level pain. Everyone is going to have the former. The extent to which you have the latter is largely a matter of choice. Of course there are no guarantees, sometimes people are just fucked. But if you wanted something that would give you your best bet against that level of suffering, then barbell training is probably it.

Well, there's run of the mill pain and there's Hieronymus Bosch level pain. Everyone is going to have the former. The extent to which you have the latter is largely a matter of choice. Of course there are no guarantees, sometimes people are just fucked. But if you wanted something that would give you your best bet against that level of suffering, then barbell training is probably it.
    Whether that be chronic, old man pain or pain because your old wobbly ass just fell down the stairs and you broke your hip. Maybe if you had just squatted your balance would be better and your muscle wasting wouldn’t have been an issue. Now we’ll never know. Cue the violins.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Whether that be chronic, old man pain or pain because your old wobbly ass just fell down the stairs and you broke your hip. Maybe if you had just squatted your balance would be better and your muscle wasting wouldn’t have been an issue. Now we’ll never know. Cue the violins.
    You don't make sense.

starting strength coach development program
    You don't make sense.
    What I meant to do was support your reply to Kiril. Sorry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast