starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method DOMS

Default Texas Method DOMS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve been running Texas Method for 1 month, as written in Practical Programming (hit my first intensity day PR in week 3, and volume day for squats at 90% of that).

I have moderate DOMS usually until the day after Light Day. In the coaches’ experience does this eventually go away or is it characteristic throughout running the program?

Maybe, maybe not. Diet? Age? Bodyweight? Height? Numbers?

25 years old. Diet is same as during LP, and continuing to gain ½-1 lb of bodyweight per week, currently at 190 lb and 5'10''. Current worksets:
    Squat: volume, 310 lb; intensity, 350 lb
    Bench: volume, 200 lb; intensity, 215 lb
    DL on volume day, 380 lb

Soreness only bothers me in my legs. It's more of a quality of life thing than a training thing. Just curious if I will be limping 3 days post volume day until I switch to another method or whether it eventually goes away during TM.

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    25 years old. Diet is same as during LP, and continuing to gain ½-1 lb of bodyweight per week, currently at 190 lb and 5'10''. Current worksets:
    Squat: volume, 310 lb; intensity, 350 lb
    Bench: volume, 200 lb; intensity, 215 lb
    DL on volume day, 380 lb

Soreness only bothers me in my legs. It's more of a quality of life thing than a training thing. Just curious if I will be limping 3 days post volume day until I switch to another method or whether it eventually goes away during TM.
    See what happens when you move your Deadlifts to the Intensity Day. Assuming the 350 is a 5RM then 310x5x5 shouldn't be causing 3 days of DOMS. And generally whatever soreness is still there mid-week is usually taken care of by the light day squats.

Matt has me on Old Man Texas Method (I'm 51) and the only time I have ever been sore lifting is after I come back from a cruise where I haven't lifted anything heavier than a glass of Scotch for a week. Even then, the soreness is quite mild and goes away after 2 sessions. I've been lifting for years.

When I did Crossfit, however...I don't ever remember a time I wasn't sore.

Look at the diet answer. Information overload.

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    I’ve been running Texas Method for 1 month, as written in Practical Programming (hit my first intensity day PR in week 3, and volume day for squats at 90% of that).

I have moderate DOMS usually until the day after Light Day. In the coaches’ experience does this eventually go away or is it characteristic throughout running the program?
    In my personal and limited coaching experience, everyone gets some DOMS on Texas Method and LP. How bad it is depends on the factors Rip asked you about.

How "bad" are the DOMS? Mild annoyance? Debilitating to your work/personal life? Can't get out of bed?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Look at the diet answer. ...
    No beef with that.