starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lift heavy things for healthy back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If this guy continues to walk around, the deadlift is not dangerous.

YouTube
    I'll give that guy this, he fought like hell for that deadlift. He lost, terribly, but he fought!

When I started SS at age 57 I was scared of deadlifting because I've had low back pain since I was a teenager. I trained with SSC Paul Horn. He walked me through it and encouraged me. I believe my form is fair to good but undoubtedly far from perfect. I later did the seminar. It took me a while to understand the mechanics from reading the book but eventually I made peace with it. It did not make my back pain better but it in no way has made it worse. Paul's response when I told him that was "You can have back pain and be weak or you can have back pain and be strong. Which do you prefer?" Easy choice.

The only time I had a problem was once when I accidentally let out my valsalva during descent. It felt like my low back exploded. I apparently proved that valsalva (even when putting the bar down) matters! I've never made that mistake again. No other inadequacy in my technique has ever exacerbated my pain.

Paul's response when I told him that was "You can have back pain and be weak or you can have back pain and be strong. Which do you prefer?" Easy choice.
    Exactly, and that has been how I've viewed my own situation.

I'll give that guy this, he fought like hell for that deadlift. He lost, terribly, but he fought!
    Right, but "that guy" happens to be Crossfit's peerless leader (or one of them), and given that Crossfit is often criticized for being dangerous (or at the very least that it encourages shitty technique), we might reasonably expect that their leadership would make efforts to demonstrate that this is not so. Whereas, he seems to be proving that it very much does encourage shitty, if not dangerous, technique. "There's a fine line between hardass and dumbass..." not that my own back pain is a result of being sensible all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    The only time I had a problem was once when I accidentally let out my valsalva during descent. It felt like my low back exploded. I apparently proved that valsalva (even when putting the bar down) matters! I've never made that mistake again. No other inadequacy in my technique has ever exacerbated my pain.
    Did this on RDLs once. Will not do again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mund View Post

Right, but "that guy" happens to be Crossfit's peerless leader (or one of them), and given that Crossfit is often criticized for being dangerous (or at the very least that it encourages shitty technique), we might reasonably expect that their leadership would make efforts to demonstrate that this is not so. Whereas, he seems to be proving that it very much does encourage shitty, if not dangerous, technique. "There's a fine line between hardass and dumbass..." not that my own back pain is a result of being sensible all the time.
    HA! I didn't realize that was one of the Crossfit leader dudes, that's pretty funny. And then it's even funnier that he put that video out there like it was something he's proud of.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't find the other videos that this guy has put out, but I think he consistently has the worst dl form I've ever seen YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12