starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift heavy things for healthy back

Default Lift heavy things for healthy back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

They can't bring themselves to type the word "deadlift", the poor little things.

I think what they mean by heavy things is a kettlebell deadlift and the various other submaximal forms of posterior chain work (one legged dumbell goodmornings, deadlift with bands)

Yep. They cannot grasp the concept of Training.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBoskovski View Post
    I think what they mean by heavy things is a kettlebell deadlift and the various other submaximal forms of posterior chain work (one legged dumbell goodmornings, deadlift with bands)
    Ironically, these things are more likely to hurt your back than a heavy deadlift properly executed.

"Right, because making regular lifting a part of your everyday routine means grabbing an olympic bar with 315lbs and pumping that up for reps.

That's exactly a fast express trip to fucking up your back catastrophically if you don't have 100% proper form."

What an amazing comment. Should go tell all the people at my gym deadlifting with only decent form that they better stop trying before their backs explode due to not having 100% proper form.

Quote Originally Posted by KangaJoo View Post
    "Right, because making regular lifting a part of your everyday routine means grabbing an olympic bar with 315lbs and pumping that up for reps.

That's exactly a fast express trip to fucking up your back catastrophically if you don't have 100% proper form."

What an amazing comment. Should go tell all the people at my gym deadlifting with only decent form that they better stop trying before their backs explode due to not having 100% proper form.
    An amazing number of people have less than perfect deadlift form, probably most of those who deadlift. And yet - while I would not recommend it - even with poor form, back injuries from the deadlift are not common. I went to school with someone who posted a new PR deadlift on facebook which he was pretty proud of. The form was atrocious and cringe worthy with an exaggerated cat back and several desperate hitches off the knees to get to lockout, all the while surrounded by people from his gym cheering him on. I would never condone such a lift and if he asked me (which he didn't), I'd tell him to never do that again and drop weights until he can achieve better form. And yet his back is fine, as far as I know.

Yeah, "not terrible" really only applies to the title of the "article." Not sure what they mean by "heavy lifting" when the majority of the time the writers are talking about competitive rowers doing endurance work. I guess I was overwhelmed by the fact that they were acknowledging that not all municipal workers need to wear a girdle all day long and avoid lifting anything over 25 lbs to avoid back injury. They have succeeded in lowering my expectations so far that this "article" is a breath of fresh air. Sad.

If this guy continues to walk around, the deadlift is not dangerous.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If this guy continues to walk around, the deadlift is not dangerous.

YouTube
    Nailed it!

-Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast