starting strength gym

Thread: Novice gains wasted in caloric deficit?

Default Novice gains wasted in caloric deficit?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Before I start, I would like to be clear that I am not asking if I can build muscle in a caloric deficit, because I know you can’t, and I am not looking to have a six pack. I am currently around 40% BF and I am getting bored with my diet (1800 calories/day) and the dumbbell exercises I have been doing in my basement trying to lose the weight. I have been reading the Starting Strength book, but I am struggling with when I should start the program. Ideally, I would like to get down to around 20% BF, then start the program and be able to properly bulk.

So my questions are, how much will I be limiting my novice gains by going through much of the novice program in a caloric deficit? And, will the muscular gains squandered in a caloric deficit be waiting for me after I have been on the novice program for +/- 6 months in a deficit, reach 20% BF, and can bulk, or are they lost forever?

The other option I am considering is just doing the novice program at around maintenance calories. Getting to around 20% BF is important to me and I am unsure if that would ever get me there.

I am 30 years old, 5'9", 265 lbs, and I have a fair amount of muscle from work/lifting, but mostly in the 8-12 rep range, no experience lifting heavy.

Thanks,

Jake

This will answer some of your questions: A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Every single novice, regardless of bodyfat or age or gender or genetics, will gain strength on the SS linear progression. Whether that's 5 weeks or 5 months or something in between will depend on those factors.

Also, there is no reason you can't run LP while you lose weight, move to intermediate programming while still losing weight, and then when you hit a good bodyweight, move to LP again on a caloric surplus.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com