starting strength gym

Thread: Squat

Default Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,
    Can you help me out here. Been trying to run LP for some time but i run in to trouble with my lower back everytime. End up having to deload the weight, work back up, low back trouble starts again and repeat the process. I have the book and feel like i have read every article there is to read but for some reason i'm still screwing up on Squats. In my head i feel i am in full extension when squatting but when i watch my videos back i just look like i'm in flexion the whole time. Can you take a look at my form and see whats going wrong and where i'm screwing up. The best i've managed on squat is 117.kg for 5/5/3. Which isnt to good for a 198lb male i know. Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks!
    Squat 85kg "flexion"
    YouTube

I can look at your form, see the flexion, tell you you're in flexion, and tell you the things to fix it that you've already read dozens of times. At some point, there is no substitute for coaching.

You're squatting on the balls of your feet, not sitting back. Technique, technique, and technique again.

If the SS method descriptions are confusing (I don't see why), watch the following youtube video: Ed Coan how to Skwaat. Ed's method is very similar to the SS squat model with minor differences. He talks about opening the hips (taint) and bending the knees then dropping straight down. Watch his many squat clips and even with 1000 pound weights this form is consistent. He uses considerable forward lean. The only differences are the head position (he looks slightly downward), and the hand position (thumbs around the bar, though in his younger days he had the thumbs over the bar).

Consider posting your deadlift form because I suspect that your hamstrings are not being worked hard enough and/or you use too much back flexion.

You're not helped by the fact that you never stand up straight. You're torso leans forward more than necessary from the instant you stand up out of the rack. Fatigues your back more than necessary and there's a small chance this is contributing to your back flexion problem, since it's harder to set your lumbar when in a partial good morning. Tried attaching a picture showing your hips vs a more normal top position to illustrate the forward lean.

Make sure the middle of your feet are directly under the bar when you stand up (looks like your feet are behind the bar when you unrack) and finish extending the hips.

hips not fully open on left.jpg

There was an excellent video on The Squat-Upper Back Position with Jayson Ball. Here’s the link: YouTube

Maybe it will help.