starting strength gym

Thread: Does anyone return to Presses after shoulder replacement surgery?

Default Does anyone return to Presses after shoulder replacement surgery?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 51 years old. 6'2" 225. I had my shoulder evaluated today. After X-rays the doc said he can't believe I am able to do the things I am doing. My shoulder was repaired 19 years ago and I knew that I had a screw in the scapula. I figured that was coming loose because sometimes I could feel something in there crunching and wearing at me.
    Long story's short, my shoulder is in bad shape.
    We are going to get a CT scan to see if he can remove the 3 anchors in the scapula and do some "formal arthroscopy" to avoid or put off shoulder replacement. He knows that I lift and do farm work and want to keep doing so. When I asked about activity limitation in the mean time, he said if I stop doing everything for 2 months I probably won't get back to where I am so I should continue to train as long as pain doesn't stop me and perhaps reduce my weight load on press and bench. My weight load is already low on both. 135# for press and on the rare occasion that I bench I usually don't go over 185 because of the pressure I feel in the joint.

His notes are as follows

Radiographs demonstrate the bone-on-bone arthritis in the glenohumeral join., there are 3 metal anchors from his previous reconstrucgtion which potentially are exposted in the glenoid and rubbing the humeral head. he has a huge inferior huberal head spur. He has multiple large loose bodies in the shoulder. Has a type 2 acromion . He has moderate AC joint arthrosis.

This is the same guy who built me a new ACL 3 years ago. He does more knees and shoulders than anyone else in my city. Good solid reputation. Neither procedure sounds good. Replacement sounds like a game ender, although I have read about a few people returning to weightlifting afterwards.

At least I can still use my SSB and squat.

Thoughts?

I have no experience with a total shoulder post-op. We'll ask.

I have a client who had a total shoulder about 2 years ago. He's about 67. We Press 1x/week with 3-5 moderate sets of 5. Once per week we do neutral grip DB bench pressing. Any type of barbell benching is a problem. We do pulldowns 1x/week for sets of 8-10 and seated rows 1x/week for sets of 8-10. He has no issues with this upper body regimen. He can't low bar squat, but we high-bar 1x/week and he's fine with that exercise.

A very high ranking military officer had a total shoulder replacement and is well known for absolutely crushing his subordinates in the gym.

When I meet with my doc after the CT scan, I am going to talk to him about a procedure called "ream and run" which approaches the shoulder replacement in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    A very high ranking military officer had a total shoulder replacement and is well known for absolutely crushing his subordinates in the gym.
    Any way to find out what kind of procedure he had?

As with any surgical procedure, there can always be complications and I have found total shoulders to be a little more complicated to recover from than a hip or a knee replacement, but I have worked with several patients post total shoulder replacement and have not had an issue with getting them back to pressing. I am sure your training background will aid you in your recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post

Any way to find out what kind of procedure he had?
    No. But, does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    No. But, does it really matter?
    Yes and no. Yes because what I am reading indicates that the standard style of total shoulder replacement involves a plastic socket and steel ball and the plastic wears out. The Ream and Run involves a steel ball and crafting a new socket by reaming out the bone .

No because either way he has decided to go hard as hell and that sounds like a better life than babying the shoulder all the time and wasting away.

And thank you for your responses. It helps to have a little better frame of reference for what's coming my way.

All I can say is I’ve pressed significant weight (250) with a seriously bum shoulder (nerve impingement). Like empty bar warm ups make me actually see stars. After I’m done pressing I ALWAYS feel better. Frankly, I’m scared to NOT press. I don’t know anything about replacement parts—so, YMMV.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    Yes and no. Yes because what I am reading indicates that the standard style of total shoulder replacement involves a plastic socket and steel ball and the plastic wears out. The Ream and Run involves a steel ball and crafting a new socket by reaming out the bone .

No because either way he has decided to go hard as hell and that sounds like a better life than babying the shoulder all the time and wasting away.

And thank you for your responses. It helps to have a little better frame of reference for what's coming my way.
    The best surgical procedure you can have is the one the surgeon is comfortable doing.