starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip's thoughts on TB12/Patriots' training controversy

Default Rip's thoughts on TB12/Patriots' training controversy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach, there's a big divide in the New England Patriots and much of it has to do with training. It's a pretty interesting story -- wondering if you have an opinion on TB12?

Basically Tom Brady's trainer/business partner, Alex Guerrero, espouses "pliability" and working with bands over traditional weight lifting. Guerrero was once a fixture in the locker room and sidelines; but Bill Belichick but kicked him out once he began undermining the team training staff. Like telling Rob Gronkowski NOT to squat heavy.

So Belichick more in the Rippetoe camp, Brady this new age methodology that doesn't seem to be scientific. I'm just wondering WTF is pliability?

The TB12 Method, which takes its name from Mr. Brady’s initials and jersey number, is built on Mr. Guerrero’s theory that for good health and prolonged athletic performance, we need our muscles to be “pliable.” Pliable muscles, which are not the same as flexible muscles, are “soft” and not “dense,” he and Mr. Brady assert. Dense, stiff muscles are easily injured, according to the book, because they are not resilient and can tear during physical activity. On the other hand, soft, pliable muscles absorb the stresses and impacts that occur during daily life and sports, Mr. Brady writes, as when, for instance, a 300-pound lineman slams into your side....

At that moment, he writes, “My brain is thinking only lengthen and soften and disperse.”

Mr. Brady attributes much of his unusually long N.F.L. career and the relatively little playing time he has lost to injuries to this kind of gnomic self-talk and his muscular pliability. But most of us are not pliable, he tells us, and our workouts are not helping. Standard weight training and conditioning exercises, such as running and sprints, tighten and harden our muscles, he writes, opening us to injury.

Instead, we should do less weight training or conditioning and more of… something else. It involves “targeted, deep-force muscle work,” Mr. Brady writes. “Think of a deep, rigorous massage, but much more focused, and in my case using complex techniques based on an understanding of the biomechanics of what it takes for me to throw a football and function at peak levels as an athlete who accelerates, decelerates, runs, cuts, and more, as well as the daily acts of living that complement my off-field life.

Tom Brady’s ‘The TB12 Method’ Is Hefty but Short on Science - The New York Times

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    I'm just wondering WTF is pliability?
    Same thing as "mobilidy"? I don't know. I've never watched Tom Brady play a single down, and I give zero (0) fucks about these clowns. In fact, this is why I don't watch sports. Some people believe the earth is 6000 years old, so it's not entirely surprising that a guy who thinks "pliability" is more important than force production has latched his parasite mouth parts onto the ass of a genetic freak who is bright enough to QB a good team but isn't bright enough to understand why he plays at his level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Same thing as "mobilidy"? I don't know. I've never watched Tom Brady play a single down, and I give zero (0) fucks about these clowns. In fact, this is why I don't watch sports. Some people believe the earth is 6000 years old, so it's not entirely surprising that a guy who thinks "pliability" is more important than force production has latched his parasite mouth parts onto the ass of a genetic freak who is bright enough to QB a good team but isn't bright enough to understand why he plays at his level.
    I'm a lifelong Patriots fan, and I have been a fan of Brady's since he was quarterbacking the Michigan Wolverines.

Tom Brady's level of success in the NFL can essentially be traced to a couple characteristics:
    #1 - the guy actually gives a shit about being good (5 x Super Bowl wins and 3 x MVP awards and he still works with a throwing coach almost daily during the off-season)
    #2 - the guy is maniacally competitive
    #3 - the guy has sacrificed almost all forms of enjoyment in this world in pursuit of excellence on the football field. I don't agree one bit with his diet, but, if it is these pseudo-bro-science beliefs that keep him from doing lines of blow off urinals at a strip club during the off-season, then all is well.
    #4 - his performance on the field differs from most because he is not a very gifted athlete, nor is he exceptionally gifted as a passer. His performance on the field is transcendent due to his ability to read a defense, capitalize on a defense's mistakes, and his consistency when throwing the ball (his technique for throwing rarely deviates, much in the same way Steph Curry's shot does not deviate almost at all)

Of course, playing a protected position, being surrounded by a greatly above average to stellar offensive line, a once in a lifetime talent at Tight End, arguably the most gifted wide receiver to ever play the game, and a cast of characters that work themselves into the ground on a daily basis helps maintain his durability. Put Tom Brady behind the United States Military Academy (West Point) offensive line, and it wouldn't matter how pliable his muscles are.

TB12 is the latest strain of tuberculosis that causes night sweats on Saturday and leaves the individual doubting their future in the NFL.

And he doesn't have to play against the likes of Alzado, Gastineau, Taylor, and other maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Put Tom Brady behind the United States Military Academy (West Point) offensive line
    I'm pretty sure that happened in 2015...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Tom Brady's level of success in the NFL can essentially be traced to a couple characteristics:
    #1 - the guy actually gives a shit about being good (5 x Super Bowl wins and 3 x MVP awards and he still works with a throwing coach almost daily during the off-season)
    #2 - the guy is maniacally competitive
    #3 - the guy has sacrificed almost all forms of enjoyment in this world in pursuit of excellence on the football field. I don't agree one bit with his diet, but, if it is these pseudo-bro-science beliefs that keep him from doing lines of blow off urinals at a strip club during the off-season, then all is well.
    #4 - his performance on the field differs from most because he is not a very gifted athlete, nor is he exceptionally gifted as a passer. His performance on the field is transcendent due to his ability to read a defense, capitalize on a defense's mistakes, and his consistency when throwing the ball (his technique for throwing rarely deviates, much in the same way Steph Curry's shot does not deviate almost at all)
    I'll add . . . .
    He's a pocket passer for a reason. He can't run for crap.
    He's very good at getting rid of the ball fast; and/or can't extend passing plays, because of the aforementioned lack of running ability.
    Doesn't get sacked a whole lot.

So he usually never gets into a bad situation running for a first down and the gets clobbered, or doesn't scramble around try to pass the ball.
    (e.g. RG3, Cam, Flacco, etc)

His lower body is not explosive; he couldn't pull a hammie, or strain a quad or calf if he wanted to.
    Top fuel dragsters blow an engine every fourth race. Your mom's subcompact grocery-getter? not so much.

One must have a pliable brain to believe this horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I'll add . . . .
    He's a pocket passer for a reason. He can't run for crap.
    He's very good at getting rid of the ball fast; and/or can't extend passing plays, because of the aforementioned lack of running ability.
    Doesn't get sacked a whole lot.

So he usually never gets into a bad situation running for a first down and the gets clobbered, or doesn't scramble around try to pass the ball.
    (e.g. RG3, Cam, Flacco, etc)

His lower body is not explosive; he couldn't pull a hammie, or strain a quad or calf if he wanted to.
    Top fuel dragsters blow an engine every fourth race. Your mom's subcompact grocery-getter? not so much.
    He had a 24.5" vertical leap at the combine. The fact of the matter is that Tom Brady is an elite football player, not an elite athlete.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    He had a 24.5" vertical leap at the combine. The fact of the matter is that Tom Brady is an elite football player, not an elite athlete.
    Very true. This shouldn't be taken to mean that most males are better athletes than Tom Brady though. a 24.5" vertical and a 5.2 second 40 yard dash time are very good for the athletic public. Most males, even those with some athleticism, could not beat those numbers. The average vertical jump at the NBA combine is right at 28".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast