starting strength gym

Thread: Video: The Hamstrings and the Squat

Default Video: The Hamstrings and the Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

What about low back soreness? If the eccentric component is what causes soreness, is low back soreness an indication of lumbar flexion on the squat or deadlift? Or is it maybe the glutes/hamstrings pulling on the low back that account for some sort of lengthening? Or am I asking stupid questions?

Why do we have shortened hamstrings in the front squat?

'You drew a shorter femur.'

If I understood correctly, the hamstrings' involvement in the squat is mostly isometric. How does this square with involving the most muscle mass over the longest effective range of motion? Is this type of isometric contraction--plus the work they get in the deadlift--sufficient to effectively train and build this big important muscle group?

I get the idea that in a properly-done whole-body movement, each muscle takes the load that it is anatomically designed to take, and the whole system gets stronger. But it's interesting that some muscles are worked through a range of motion in barbell training (say, triceps) and others are worked mostly isometrically (hamstrings in the squat, traps and lats in the deadlift?).

Yes, it is interesting. The spinal erectors seem to grow quite a bit while performing their isometric function of stabilizing the spine. Perhaps the fact that isometric force is just as much a product of the same contractile machinery as concentric/eccentric force is the reason that both erectors and hamstrings hypertrophy under an isometric load. And under "functional" circumstances, when are the hamstrings ever exposed to force production equal to that in a squat or deadlift? In the case of isometric muscle function, these two muscle groups are exerting tension to sufficiently control the positions they keep stable over the longest effective range of motion made possible by the technique used in the exercise, so you new guys with the 25-post count can grow big gnarly muscle bellies to show your friends and subscribers on the internet.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, it is interesting. The spinal erectors seem to grow quite a bit while performing their isometric function of stabilizing the spine. Perhaps the fact that isometric force is just as much a product of the same contractile machinery as concentric/eccentric force is the reason that both erectors and hamstrings hypertrophy under an isometric load. And under "functional" circumstances, when are the hamstrings ever exposed to force production equal to that in a squat or deadlift? In the case of isometric muscle function, these two muscle groups are exerting tension to sufficiently control the positions they keep stable over the longest effective range of motion made possible by the technique used in the exercise, so you new guys with e 25-post count can grow big gnarly muscle bellies to show your friends and subscribers on the internet.
    Thanks. Sorry if my question seemed like at attempted 'gotcha.' I really meant "it's interesting."

Even as a fan and student of the program it's hard to get away from thinking about muscles needing to be worked individually. I normally don't think of a muscle being fully and sufficiently worked by an isometric contraction--isn't a muscle's job to contract and elongate? Too many years reading Muscle & Fitness I guess.