starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trumpet music

Default Trumpet music

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I played trumpet from grade school through high school and occasionally after that in semi-organized groups. I haven't picked it up seriously in more time than I would like to think about, but I'm now trying to get the lips back in shape again. I share your appreciation of groups like Chicago and I listened to Maynard Ferguson extensively (and saw him in concert on a few occasions) during my high school years. I have the well-known Arban's book along with a few books of etudes by Herbert Clarke and of course the classic Hummel and Haydn concertos. Aside from that, my sheet music library is pretty limited. Do you have a favorite song or technique book? Where do you get the music that you play?

Thanks.

-Rob

We have had some custom arrangements made. If you're just playing by yourself, it doesn't matter much. Work on your face with long tones and by playing along with records, a highly mis-appreciated thing. We get some charts from trumpetunes.com, kendormusic.com, and ejazzlines.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We have had some custom arrangements made. If you're just playing by yourself, it doesn't matter much. Work on your face with long tones and by playing along with records, a highly mis-appreciated thing. We get some charts from trumpetunes.com, kendormusic.com, and ejazzlines.com
    Ah, yes, the dreaded, boring, long tones. I need to treat them like the 4th and 5th reps of a heavy squat set and just do them.

Thanks for the links, there's some interesting stuff there. I'll probably get some of those play-along sets for myself and my son, a budding high school jazz trombonist.

If your interests are in jazz, you can pick up a copy of the program Band in a Box and have it play chord progressions. It's like having your own jazz trio. You can have a lot of fun learning the blues scale and playing along with a 12 bar blues.

Other than that, Arban and Clarke are the standards. If you can play through those, you're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    If your interests are in jazz, you can pick up a copy of the program Band in a Box and have it play chord progressions. It's like having your own jazz trio. You can have a lot of fun learning the blues scale and playing along with a 12 bar blues.

Other than that, Arban and Clarke are the standards. If you can play through those, you're pretty good.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Karl. I'll definitely look into those. Maybe get to the point where my son and I could do duets.
    Many moons ago I could get through selected parts of Arban's and Clarke. These days, not so much. :-( But hey, that's what practice is for.

Coach you had an interesting comment on a recent q podcast when someone asked why the trumpet, and why now? Your comment was along the lines of you were 40 and felt like you needed something difficult to learn to keep the brain sharp and intact. So after playing now for 20 years, are u still playing for neurological reasons, for the challenge, or is it enjoyable and you love the music?

I ask because It is a very compelling reason to learn a new challenging hobby in middle age.

My father has Alzheimer’s so literally anything that keeps the most amount of neurons firing Is important.

If you're interested in practicing to learn improvisation for Jazz playing, the Jerry Coker books (tons of arpeggios and chord progression drills) are a standard and have been for decades. Music Minus One series also has pieces like the Hayden in Eb Major Concerto with one version WITH trumpet and one without, just the orchestral accompaniment which can be fun and motivating for a teen (and anyone). Even if jazz isn't your main thing, the drills in the Coker books can help a lot with record copying.

I saw Chicago at Carnegie Hall in the '70s with my H.S. girlfriend. Great concert but too loud for that hall. I was surprised that Chicago Conservatory musicians (or their hamfisted soundman) didn't realize that you can hear a pin drop on that stage so Led Zeppelin volume wasn't needed and just clouded everything. Still, for a H.S. kid seeing them and Sly and the Family Stone (with a "girl" trumpet player! was a great inspiration.

Seek out duets especially so you can play together, switching lst and 2nd parts as you and he progress.

Oh yeah, wanted to add, that if you're not familiar with 'Tower of Power', their older album (CD) "Bump City" is great, but you've got to be into Funk Music. Their bassist Rocco Prestia was a real innovator and amazing. One of the best horn bands ever in my book. They still tour but have gone through some personnel changes and lead singer changes. The "new' lead singer is still good though. Might help to keep a youngster interested in playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Coach you had an interesting comment on a recent q podcast when someone asked why the trumpet, and why now? Your comment was along the lines of you were 40 and felt like you needed something difficult to learn to keep the brain sharp and intact. So after playing now for 20 years, are u still playing for neurological reasons, for the challenge, or is it enjoyable and you love the music?

I ask because It is a very compelling reason to learn a new challenging hobby in middle age.

My father has Alzheimer’s so literally anything that keeps the most amount of neurons firing Is important.
    I still practice with some guys a couple of times a week, but I'm no longer training it like I was when I started. (See how useful our paradigm is?) Don't have the time. I just enjoy the music we make as a group, even though I can barely stand to listen to myself play.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverstone View Post
    Oh yeah, wanted to add, that if you're not familiar with 'Tower of Power', their older album (CD) "Bump City" is great, but you've got to be into Funk Music. Their bassist Rocco Prestia was a real innovator and amazing. One of the best horn bands ever in my book. They still tour but have gone through some personnel changes and lead singer changes. The "new' lead singer is still good though. Might help to keep a youngster interested in playing.
    One of my favs:
    YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast