starting strength gym

Thread: Donating blood

Default Donating blood

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip:

Your opinion is respected, hence why I ask NOT because you're an expert or a doctor.

I recall reading that you're not a fan of donating blood - that if it was so necessary, needed and important they would be paying us for it (if I recall your thoughts on the subject correctly).

What about donating blood for the potential health benefits - namely for ameliorating polycythemia (i.e. high red blood cells count) or other elevated blood product levels (I dont really understand this). Any knowledge or opinion on this?

What is your H&H?

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Rip:

Your opinion is respected, hence why I ask NOT because you're an expert or a doctor.

I recall reading that you're not a fan of donating blood - that if it was so necessary, needed and important they would be paying us for it (if I recall your thoughts on the subject correctly).

What about donating blood for the potential health benefits - namely for ameliorating polycythemia (i.e. high red blood cells count) or other elevated blood product levels (I dont really understand this). Any knowledge or opinion on this?

About Blood donations, there are requirements for donors that must meet. This is to ensure the safety of both patient and donor. To be eligible, a donor must be fit, active, healthy and not suffering from any communicable disease.

It's not illegal for hospitals to pay for blood but they almost never do (except in particularly dire circumstances). Think about it. Regardless of the testing that every unit goes through, would you prefer receiving a unit bought from someone or one donated for purely altruistic reasons? By insuring a safer pre-tested unit, you will statistically have a safer post-test unit.

Or do you believe that blood banks never make lab errors?

15.8 and 47.2 about 6 months ago. So normal. But Im about to get more blood work done and if they are high, Im considering donating. If theyre normal, I wont. Your thoughts?

If it was me, I'd not dump any blood I was using personally unless there was a reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If it was me, I'd not dump any blood I was using personally unless there was a reason to do so.
    It's another thing the medical establishment gets wrong. I'm not convinced that paid blood is riskier than donated blood, and I wouldn't object to payment, but donor blood saved my life so I donate when its convenient and make sure to eat my fill of cookies (much preferred when it was donuts, back in the 80s & 90s). I'm working on my 4th gallon pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The reason to donate blood is the same reason to “donate” anything, pretty much: altruism.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    Ito eat my fill of cookies (much preferred when it was donuts, back in the 80s & 90s). I'm working on my 4th gallon pin.
    or Guinness as it was in Ireland until 2010.