starting strength gym

Thread: Eccentric Portion of the Squat

Default Eccentric Portion of the Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ripp,

We have muscles that maintain the upright position at the top of the Squat that work to extend the hip and knee joints. These include the adductors, quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes.

On the eccentric phase of the Squat, these muscles seem to resist rapid flexion more so than resisting extension. Any other words, how could a series of muscles that extend the hip and knee joints work to resist extension. I would imagine that resisting extension would be the exclusive job of the hip and knee flexors (Hamstrings, Rectus Femoris, TFL, Iliacus, Sartorius).

Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Beall View Post
    On the eccentric phase of the Squat, these muscles seem to resist rapid flexion more so than resisting extension.
    This is precisely what they do. The eccentric role of the extensors is resisting flexion. The load on the bar does a fine job of resisting the extension all by itself.

Excellent. This is precisely what I imagined was going on. On "The Squat" portion of our SS Seminar notes, it is written, "When the squat begins its eccentric phase, all the muscles that will ultimately extend these joints... come under active load as they resist extension on the way to the bottom position."

I tried and failed to understand how extensor muscles could resist extension. Unless I am reading the text incorrectly?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Beall View Post
    I tried and failed to understand how extensor muscles could resist extension.
    By exerting the force of tension as they lengthen. This is called an "eccentric contraction," although the term should be "eccentric action" to avoid this confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    By exerting the force of tension as they lengthen. This is called an "eccentric contraction," although the term should be "eccentric action" to avoid this confusion.
    Aren't they resisting *flexion* then? According to OP, the notes say that the extensors "resist extension" on the way down. But there is no extension to be resisted at this part of the squat, since all the joints come into flexion. Or am I missing something?

BR,
    Philipp

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Muhoray View Post
    Aren't they resisting *flexion* then?
    Quite correct. That's what I get for doing these in a hurry.