starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andrew Lewis: A Hierarchy of the Variables in Strength Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Muhoray View Post
    What caught my attention was the fact that you did not include the Power Clean in the discussion of exercise selection:

"These 3 criteria lead to the squat, the standing overhead press, the deadlift, and the bench press."

I usually see the "big five" teaming up together when these basics are discussed.
    Is there a specific reason you left it out here? Has there been a change of understanding regarding the Power Clean? Has it fallen from it's throne?
    Absolutely not. The power clean is essential for many trainees, but not across the board. It was omitted for the sake of generalization.

The squat, deadlift, press, and bench press should be performed by every single human who is able.
    I don't even have my female clients do the power clean unless they are in sports or actually want to learn something difficult, extremely technique dependent, and psychologically hard.

I love the quick lifts, and I think they're crucial in athletic development, but if we want to talk about "The Basics" to include as many populations as possible, then the clean gets omitted.

I would even go so far as to say "yeah, hey man, if you just do presses, deadlifts, and squats, no worries. That's cool." That's still going to get you way further than 90% of the bullshit programs on the internet.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Best of luck with your endeavors, Andrew.
    I hope that sentiment is genuine, but based on our other interactions on this forum, I'd guess it's not.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12