starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platform Article: The Close-Grip Bench Press

Default Platform Article: The Close-Grip Bench Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Very interesting. I've been doing wide grip -- and my PECs are getting YUUUGE (well, not really, but bigger!) so I guess I'll have to start the close grip.

Isn't the bodybuilding "rationale/standard" to use both -- wide for the pecs and close for the tris? I know Beachbodys "Body Beast" does it, but with dumbells (yes, I admit, I own the package, don't think too badly of me, I really have come around to the force!).

I really don't know what bodybuilders do. I assume they do a lot of direct tricep work.

I have never done much close-grip bench press. I'd be interested to hear others' experience with this exercise.

I'd be more interested in hearing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I have never done much close-grip bench press. I'd be interested to hear others' experience with this exercise.
    I'm not a huge fan of close grip bench press and I haven't used them much except to try them once or twice. I use weighted dips where close grip bench press would otherwise go.

Although to be honest, I don't like the assistance exercises that much at all unless you're working on a sticking point or are an olympic lifter.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd be more interested in hearing yours.
    At this point, next to none like I said. But I may be nearing the end of my novice LP (benched 260 for 5 sets of 3 last night, which felt pretty heavy), and it sounded from your article like this might be something to work in to an intermediate program at some point.

My primary experience with the close-grip bench is that I was inadvertently doing it and artificially limiting my bench numbers by around 30 - 40 lbs (maybe 20% difference).

That being said, I “felt” the close-grip version much more, and even after a 30 lb jump once I made some adjustments to my grip, I still barely “feel” the wider grip bench. Probably because of the increase in muscle mass usage, like the The Squat vs the high bar variation.

I close gripped throughout NLP and only just started trying out a wider grip. It actually feels more difficult to wide grip and my numbers haven't moved any faster than on narrow grip. One of the keys I believe is that, without a good spotter, that it's harder to get the bar off/on the hooks with a wide grip with short arms.

Might go back to narrow grip after reading this article. Safer shoulder seems like a good thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Ugh. Watched the video. Going back to mall-walking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast