starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of strength training.

Default Benefits of strength training.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I fell two day's s ago. Carrying a computer desk, the first step I took down from my front porch, my foot shot out from under me and I fell rather spectacularly and the desk landed on me. I fell on my back, slightly twisted to the right. I'm not dead. I didn't break my back. I didn't break any bones. And even though I have a history of back injury, I got up, said some words, picked up the desk and went about my business.
    I am convinced, without a doubt, that squatting and deadlifting are why I am not jacked up right now. My back, hips, butt and thighs are all much thicker and stronger than they used to be. I had a tight valsalva when I picked up the desk and was still tight when I hit. The muscles absorbed the impact and kept me safe. My security system got it on video and it was a pretty good hit.

Oh, what fun! Post it.

In addition to not getting injured when falling down stairs, I have also noticed an increased pain tolerance; I slipped on some wooden stairs, hit hard on a stair edge and slid down a few more. I swore and anticipated some pain, but it never came. Nothing at all, even though I know it would have hurt at least a little before. Only after effect was a large bruise after a day or two.

Since I started strength training 4 years ago, I haven't tripped and fallen once. I've slid around plenty of times on ice and otherwise wet surfaces, I've misplaced my feet on staircases, and I've had close encounters on my bike. But not one fall in 4 years of hip drahve. Anecdotal as it may be, there it is.

I hope I don't regret this.

YouTube

But the table was okay, right?

The benefits of strength training at its best. Those moments in life when things slip out from underneath you ��

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But the table was okay, right?
    Table got a little scratch on the corner but its mostly ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post

YouTube
    The horror...the horror.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post

YouTube
    "Well.....that was a good time."

Beautiful. That is the exactly how I've reacted when falling. Sit there, wait to see if there is pain, assess if there is damage calmly, start talking to myself, get up, swear a bit and carry on.

I stepped on one of my daughter's shoes the other day while holding a jar of hot sauce. My ankle rolled and down I went. I probably sat there 30 seconds waiting (surrounded by shattered glass and hot pepper sauce) until I was sure I was not cut up and that my ankle could support me. Although the ankle was tender I was squatting two days later none the worse for wear. A few years ago before weight trainging that much mass hitting the ground had me aching for days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast