Thread: Benefits of strength training.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    I hope I don't regret this.

YouTube
    No cryin' there. Steady as she goes.

Also, in the first frames, does talking to yourself come with age?

Now, I wouldn't say the following in public, but I can carry on a decent, if stunted, conversation with myself, and even laugh at my own unarticulated jokes.

I have always talked to myself. Both sides of a conversation. I have learned that when im pissed at a woman i need to wait tilll i am away from them to statt talking, i need to make sure they cant eves drop. They will hold you to account for things you say, even to yourself.

This is unscientific nonsense. Rip should ask some non-lifting folk to throw themselves down a flight of stairs, to check for placebo.

There was a great thread, back in 2013, about an athlete who got himself up to a 315lb squat with starting strength, and then shifted training gears to triathlon, getting at least one bronze place finish, if I remember thread correctly: Update of my transition from strength to endurance

He found, ultimately, that strength training was detrimental to his speed in endurance sports. He found himself less competitive at running and and low cadence cycling, though better at short burst cycling and kicking off in swimming (and "combat swimming in open water").

I'd like to quote his "benefits to strength training" section, however, where he singles out injury prevention as the number one benefit of strength training:

Injury prevention: Strength training provides improvements to bone density, joint integrity, muscular support, muscle balancing. This is a huge benefit to an athlete performing repetitious activities. I was a very injury prone runner, continually out with injury. During this season I suffered only moderate impact injury to my left foot that healed in two weeks and an ankle tendinitis. To me this is a huge benefit and reason enough to strength train in the off-season. An athlete that remains injury free is an athlete that can train at a higher volume more consistently then another. Looking good: An athlete happy with their body is more confident and you could argue a better athlete because of it. Plus the wife likes it. Maintenance: Maintaining physical activity during the off-season and allowing the sport specific muscles and injuries to recover. Variety: Weight training is fun and variety prevents burn-out.

So what do I recommend? I recommend an off season strength training regimen to provide adequate time to heal from a year of sport specific training and for the benefits of injury prevention. After that take it or leave it. If you feel it provides continuing benefit I would utilize the program I outlined earlier until it begins to inhibit your progress and take up valuable recovery time.
    It seems to me that this injury prevention benefit is relevant to everyone, not just athletes, and maybe especially to those of us who are getting older (and who is not getting older?).

Have to jump on the bandwagon here. I just had the fantastic honor of moving about 300 20 lb patio pavers onto a cart, off the cart onto a trailer, and off the trailer into my garage. Thanks to grip strength and calluses developed from deadlifting, this task was much simpler than it would have been just 9 weeks ago.

YouTube
    Great control, over the expletives I mean, you need to talk to Tom, you know, the guy that split his head open with a stake driver. PPE mate, next time non slip work shoes or a two man lift, or should I say two person lift?

YouTube
    Great testimonial...train Starting Strength and you too can enjoy such experiences.

YouTube
    That was effin' awesome!!

Your motto...

"I don't often fall lifting heavy objects, but when I do, starting strength saves me from a broken hip. Stay strong my friends!!"

starting strength coach development program
    I managed to set fire to myself last year and healed up pretty quickly. Not sure if I can blame that entirely on lifting heavy stuff but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12