starting strength gym
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Brits capable of embarrassment these days?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    More importantly, what if the criminal is someone regarded by the popular apologetic British/European culture as an "immigrant"? It has been determined that these people cannot be guilty, so what is the point?

My hometown in Scotland is mostly Polish now I've heard. I haven't been back in 18 years and it sounds to have changed so much. Probably unrecognizable now, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStrangeway View Post
    Discrimination. Criminals are people too.
    I know you are being ironic, but no doubt you are channeling the outrage over calling MS-13 animals.

I see the jabs and I have no other option but to take them on the chin. You're all absolutely correct about the problems with our country. We're not all criminal loving liberals but some of us have no choice, we have to live under a government who are too scared to tackle, or even mention, immigration and cultural problems. I am not in opposition to guns, nor am i in opposition to people holding knives for protection; However as the father of a young girl and partner to a heavily pregnant girlfriend, I cannot help but worry about the increasing violence and knife crime. I also do not know the answer. Prevent people from committing crimes before it has happened? Make prisons more of a deterrent rather than a better form of life? Set fire to London and rebuild? I would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkLance View Post
    I see the jabs and I have no other option but to take them on the chin. You're all absolutely correct about the problems with our country. We're not all criminal loving liberals but some of us have no choice, we have to live under a government who are too scared to tackle, or even mention, immigration and cultural problems. I am not in opposition to guns, nor am i in opposition to people holding knives for protection; However as the father of a young girl and partner to a heavily pregnant girlfriend, I cannot help but worry about the increasing violence and knife crime. I also do not know the answer. Prevent people from committing crimes before it has happened? Make prisons more of a deterrent rather than a better form of life? Set fire to London and rebuild? I would love to know.
    The first step is to stop thinking in term of [implement] crime (gun crime, knife crime). If someone shoots you, stabs you, strangles you with a shoelace, or poisons you, they've committed EXACTLY the same crime (murder), and you're just as dead. None of those are worse than the others. Once you start talking about [implement] crime you start talking about limiting access to the implement instead of deterring (or punishing) the criminal. As if the criminal is going to turn to the straight-and-narrow if only he doesn't have a gun/knife/shoelace/bottle-of-poison. He's not, and laws against implements will ONLY affect those who obey the laws.

Add to the mix laws against self-defense, where harming a criminal leaves you open to prosecution yourself, and you have an environment where criminals flourish. In a just society anyone who offers violence without reason to his fellow man ought to find himself on the receiving end of more violence than he can safely enjoy.

I would love to know.
    OK. But remember, you came back and asked again.

1. More people like you need to get your act together and vote. Or form a coherent political party if you can't get traction from your MP's. Since you have a multi-party system already, this will be easier to do in England than here in the US where we only have two.

2. Once you have a political voice, have your MP's insist on police reform. Wherein they are encouraged to actually protect subjects of the Crown, rather than please journalists, special interest groups, and the splintered and fractionated squeaky wheels in your nation.

3. I know some of your Metropolitan Police are armed with particular special response units. If your new political influence deems retaining much of the status quo, then don't arm ALL your cops, but quietly arm and train up more special response units to react more expeditiously to knife crime as it is observed by all police personnel and those ubiquitous CCTV's you have in your metropolitan areas.

4. Be prepared for an outcry. Not only domestic but from the EU, the World Court, Brussels, and other such oxygen thieves on your side of the Atlantic. Ignore them and stay the course.

5. Understand that to prevent, interdict, or stop knife crime in progress that some criminals, and maybe a lot of them, will get themselves seriously dead. Stats in the US show that an attacker with a knife tends to be more likely to be fatal than gun crime. Knife attacks are near impossible to stop with Tasers, pepper spray, and other such nostrums. If the attacker is within 21 feet, even a gun has a 50/50 chance of stopping them. Barriers like riot or ballistic shields and big heavy batons are the most likely effective first line of protection for the cops interceding. But even then, someone with a firearm will need to be there to stop the attacker, permanently, if need be.

6. Get serious about prisons and sentencing. I don't know how your judges and magistrates get appointed, but they too will need some perhaps forcible retirement and replacement with judges who are more concerned about the safety of subjects of the Crown than they are about being popular with their cohort sipping wine and enjoying arugula and cheese snacks.

I vote for the "set fire to London and rebuild" option. I was there last fall. Most Brits were quite nice, but (and I say this regrettably) London is a cesspool in quite a few areas. And the "immigrant" population was out of control...which had everything to do with the bombing that missed us by an hour (on the Tube heading to Paddington Station).

It was a strange feeling, stepping out of the Marriott London County Hall (very nice hotel) and walking a few streets over, into some pretty seedy areas. Not all that different from L.A. I suppose...but LA is a shithole as well...

Broken window theory; institute zero tolerance for petty infractions, and stop and frisk policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Add to the mix laws against self-defense, where harming a criminal leaves you open to prosecution yourself, and you have an environment where criminals flourish. In a just society anyone who offers violence without reason to his fellow man ought to find himself on the receiving end of more violence than he can safely enjoy.
    Much as I wish you were right about this, I suggest you read Scaling Force by Rory Miller and Lawrence Kane. You might be appalled at how even in the US in many jurisdictions the defender had best beware how to and what methods to use to defend oneself or others.

starting strength coach development program
    All suitable responses, and I have to say I'm in favour of most. Unfortunately we have the most conservative government (that is deemed non-racist) already elected and they have recently cut funds to mental health, policing and armed forces, all of which make problems such as these worse. It's interesting to hear input from the other side of the ocean, even a mention of self defense with firearms over here and it quickly turns into a "look at the state of America's school shootings".

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast