starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correlation between sitting cross-legged and squat

Question Correlation between sitting cross-legged and squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    crossed leg.jpg

In some countries, including Korea, people often sit cross-legged on the floor. Today it is well known that sitting cross-legged are not good for knees.

Before I do SS program, there was no inconvenience to the sitting cross-legged. But Nowadays, I find it very uncomfortable to sit cross-legged for a long time. Today, I sat in the restaurant for a long time and it was very uncomfortable.(In Korea, some restaurants do not have chairs) Is this because of squat training? I believe that squat training made my knees strong. So, I think my strong knee refuses the sitting cross-legged. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is there anyone who feels uncomfortable sitting down doing yoga?(But I have never done yoga in my life and I will)

I have never been able to sit cross-legged on the floor. Never, not even when I was a kid. So I don't know. We will ask.

In both my study of flexibility and practical experience, loss of flexibility/mobility/whatever you people want to call it these days is very much a use it or lose it situation.

Children can squat no problem because they're pliable. Over time they lose that and don't keep up on it.

Flexibility takes a long time to acquire and requires constant maintenance.

It's possible that you just stopped being in the positions requiring the flexibility which effectively made you detrain.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post
    crossed leg.jpg
    Today it is well known that sitting cross-legged are not good for knees.
    I am very skeptical of this claim.

No problems sitting cross-legged before SS and no problems after.

Quote Originally Posted by 凤凰来仪 View Post
    I am very skeptical of this claim.

No problems sitting cross-legged before SS and no problems after.
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Hanjin View Post
    In some countries, including Korea, people often sit cross-legged on the floor. Today it is well known that sitting cross-legged are not good for knees.
    Do you have a source for this?

SS doesn't seem to have had an effect on my ability to sit cross-legged, but there have been a couple of other changes in the past two decades:

- I've noticed that post-adolescence my center of gravity when sitting cross-legged moved a bit towards the rear, making staying upright require a tiny bit of active effort or forward lean.

- Once I developed some dinged up lumbar discs (before doing the NLP) my back began to hurt when sat this way for more than five minutes. This remains true post-LP, even as back pain in general has gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by karthik View Post
    Do you have a source for this?
    The Korea-part, or the knees-part?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That sitting cross-legged is not good for the knees, assuming no pre-existing knee problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I found a highly reliable source for the Korea-part.

According to the Infographic, cross-legged sitting only accounts for 1/8th of Korean sitting styles.

starting strength coach development program
    My 2 cents. When i was running marathons and skinnier i could sit cross legged and put one leg over the other like a girl when in a chair. Now after years of more squats than running I canmot cross my legs in a chair anymore. My legs are so dam big in the calves, hammies and quads...for me anyway, I now sit like a man. Even Indian style on the floor is uncomfortable for me and I am pretty flexible. I think mine is just muscle growth compared to the past years of a skinny fat runner. Perhaps I am finally a man at 46. . . .perhaps.
    Sparky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast