starting strength gym

Thread: Dan McEachin: Parkinson's Disease and Training for Strength

Default Dan McEachin: Parkinson's Disease and Training for Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I was diagnosed with PD a few months back but I have been symptomatic for about 8 months. Just over a year a ago I starting training using SS and moving on to group programming from Andy Baker. I agree with everything in this video and just wanted to add another voice. I am only 46 years old and do get hit with some heavy resting tremors. I do believe that strength training has made a huge difference in my quality of life.

About a day after I found out I remembered something Rip said about a bad back. To paraphrase "You can have it and be strong or weak your choice." Now say what you will but that statement got me back in the gym. Sometimes when you get hit with a pile of shit you need a voice to point out the truth even if it's hard to take. Sure I have bad days but fuck being weak. I am not strong by my measure but squating 415 and pulling 495 sure as hell doesnt make PD worse and likely makes some of the symtoms less troublesome (rigidity, soreness, lack of balance).

Also, my neurologist strongly supports my training. He is even cheering me on to get new PRs. He definately doesn't lift but can see a benefit in it and its one less pateint hee needs to try and get off the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    I was diagnosed with PD a few months back but I have been symptomatic for about 8 months. Just over a year a ago I starting training using SS and moving on to group programming from Andy Baker. I agree with everything in this video and just wanted to add another voice. I am only 46 years old and do get hit with some heavy resting tremors. I do believe that strength training has made a huge difference in my quality of life.

About a day after I found out I remembered something Rip said about a bad back. To paraphrase "You can have it and be strong or weak your choice." Now say what you will but that statement got me back in the gym. Sometimes when you get hit with a pile of shit you need a voice to point out the truth even if it's hard to take. Sure I have bad days but fuck being weak. I am not strong by my measure but squating 415 and pulling 495 sure as hell doesnt make PD worse and likely makes some of the symtoms less troublesome (rigidity, soreness, lack of balance).

Also, my neurologist strongly supports my training. He is even cheering me on to get new PRs. He definately doesn't lift but can see a benefit in it and its one less pateint hee needs to try and get off the couch.
    Cheering you on, man. Thanks for posting.