starting strength gym

Thread: Do you get crossfitters

Default Do you get crossfitters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ever at WFAC? If so do you say anything to them about their workouts?

We get a couple of post-CFers here a month for rehab and strength training.

My first month doing CrossFit:
    -This is fun!
    -That chick’s ass is awesome!
    -This is hard, I must be getting in shape!
    -I really need to work on running a mile then doing ten pull ups followed by fifteenth deadlifts, I must be in worse shape than I thought!

My second month doing CrossFit:
    -Damn I’m tired.
    -I’m married.
    -If this is being in shape, I’d rather die at 30.
    -Why do I pay this ridiculous amount of money each month to do something I could easily do in my backyard and garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We get a couple of post-CFers here a month for rehab and strength training.
    Remarkably understated, Coach. Perhaps too much, so allow me to be more blunt. Yes, he sees cross fitters, and for two reasons: 1) for rehab, meaning post injury as a direct result of doing CrossFit, or 2) for the cross fitter to get strong, because said trainee has realized after spending a lot of time, effort, and money on CrossFit, the person has not gotten strong.

So yes, SS is used post CrossFit for injury rehab and to gain strength. Which may lead one to leave open for consideration: does CrossFit have deceivingly high injury rates? And is the “modality” of strength actually neglected in CrossFit?

I am just appalled at the complete inconsideration they tend to give others in the gym. I work out at home mostly and at a gym where the average age is probably 60 otherwise. But while on vacation I have to do whatever. Surprisingly there are racks at many places, but it seems every time I want to squat, there is a crossfit lady doing bouncing deadlifts for sets of 20 with 10lb dumbbell nonsense in between sets. This goes on for 30 minutes or so before the rack is finally released. It’s just so annoying. I just wonder to myself, what the hell would they do to you at WFAC if you did that shit? Then I thought they probably don’t go there. So I asked.

No, they don't do that here. We are a Controlled Environment.

im upgrading from crappy commerial chain gym to a CF gym in China.
    I think CF is a good place to start and a good place for someone who knows what one's doing/wants. first point is pretty obvious, it got many people to touch a barbell for the first time in their life, and the real ones will get filterd down to oly lifting or strength/powerlifting community. second point is for someone who wants to train seriously but don't have access to a specific oly/strength gym. Like I was, and I talked to the coaches about it, and my goal (lose my gut and overall BW from 105 to 75-80 range, maintain muscle, get stronger in the meantime, get my oly technique hammered down at the same time, and see where we go from there). So naturally they didn't sell me the gymnastic and the other part, and recommended oly coaching only (retired chinese oly athelete and people he coached so pretty legit), gave me open gym access for general strength and conditioning trainning, and told me when the group class takes place (so I can avoid them I guess?) rightnow i've paid for open gym (90usd/month)only, and oly coaching is 560usd/12hr, and open gym is free should you get the coaching. all in all not bad, but maybe I haven't seen the ugly side of it.

starting strength coach development program
    I did crossfit for a couple of months. It was fun and introduced me to barbells etc, I have come to realise that strength training far more rewarding however than getting beat up randomly all the time. Crossfit is like training for people with ADD