starting strength gym

Thread: How often do you see people "overarching" on the deadlift?

Default How often do you see people "overarching" on the deadlift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark,
    my spine is naturally very arched. The chest up cue on the deadlift makes my back hurt for multiple weeks. In order to make my back flat, I feel like I need to flex it (mentally, on camera it still looks flat). That way I don't have pain. I feel like I am performing a crunch, however. Is it necessary to actively extend the back on the setup? Here is a video of what I think is too much extension.
    YouTube
    Those deadlifts hurt.

This looks like a normally underweight male lifter's low back in the deadlift start position. I don't know what you're doing to make it hurt, but I can't see anything weird in this video. Gain some weight and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This looks like a normally underweight male lifter's low back in the deadlift start position. I don't know what you're doing to make it hurt, but I can't see anything weird in this video. Gain some weight and see what happens.
    Is 200 lbs at 5.9 considered underweight?

Rip, in an attempt to train my eye, should his shoulders be coming back more/chest up more, at lockout?

zar9star, why so many reps?

Never in a million years would I have guessed that the person in this video weighed 200. You may have a point here. If you are hyperlordotic, you will have to learn to use your abs more effectively when you start the bar off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Rip, in an attempt to train my eye, should his shoulders be coming back more/chest up more, at lockout?

zar9star, why so many reps?
    That was not a working set. It was for practice. Did not have enough patience for 2x5 so I did 10. In case you wonder why I have not posted a working set, I didn't do it, due to the pain.